Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What cards can I apply for?

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Re: What cards can I apply for?

@Jerel82TX wrote:

Thanks the the replies everyone! I'm feeling more optimistic now about this. Also, yes I can pay off the 3-4 items remaining, however, only 2 are willing to delete Smiley Sad I was under the impression that all needed to be deleted in order to see an improvement??

Each deletion will help. Once you get those two deleted, I would see where your scores are and maybe look at a Cap1 secured card or maybe even unsecured if your scores improve enough. Good luck

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 11 of 21
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@Jerel82TX wrote:

Thanks the the replies everyone! I'm feeling more optimistic now about this. Also, yes I can pay off the 3-4 items remaining, however, only 2 are willing to delete Smiley Sad I was under the impression that all needed to be deleted in order to see an improvement??

The rebuilding your credit subforum can possibly help you here. There is info also on how you can potentially get those judgements "vacated" I would look into that. If you pay the two that won't delete, they might re-age but they are also pretty new so I don't know how much more paying them off would hurt you. In the long run, it would hurt you a lot less if you pay them. At least on manual review (recon) etc, they can see that the collections are all paid and that you are now more responsible. You can also try to pay them and then send them a metric um ton of "good will" letters, and attempt to get them deleted that way.

I'd suggest posting in that forum mentioned and give your state, and give the creditor and collection agency names, as well as the date those items first went delinquent (or a good approximate date) Give the amounts owed, and make sure that the folks in that sub-forum know you can pay them all off. You'll get a lot more help there I think.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 12 of 21
notfancy
Valued Contributor

PS- it has been my experience that medical collections are the easiest to get deleted. Good luck to you!

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 13 of 21
VinnyVee
Contributor

I would pay off the two that would delete. Depending on their amount, they could possibly build your score back up to the 600 range and above. It would make it easier getting a Kohl's charge to build credit while taking care of the other 2. I've also only been able to get medical debts deleted. While deletion is the only method to instantly improve score, from what I've gathered having a collections report a 0 balance helps your scores rise higher as they age. Plus it looks better on a credit review. So my advice - get the first two deleted, get your Kohls charge, garden your Kohls charge while you take care of the other 2 (if they won't delete, definitely have them report it as Paid in Full at very least), then once those are taken care of you can probably get a Capital One Quicksilver One.

(started in the mid 500s on all 3, 11/13)
As of 5/22/15 EX: 698, EQ: 700, TU: 703
Barclay Rewards: $2750, Capital One Quicksilver one: $4300, Discover IT : $300, Amazon Visa: $100. Best Buy Credit Card: $3000, Kohl's Charge: $300, Express: $2600, Overstock $1650, Chase Freedom $4700, AMEX Everday $1500, Serta iComfort $4700, Walmart $1600, Target $300
Message 14 of 21
Jerel82TX
New Contributor

I will follow all of the advice posted . Thanks guys ! 

Message 15 of 21
Chaselover
Frequent Contributor

Most creditors will not value the payment history of secured cards.

In a committed relationship with Chase from 12/2012.
Age: 26, Income: $59,240/-, Current score: TU from CK: 750/A (12/24/14), TU Vantage score from CK: 775/C (12/24/14), Experian from Creditsesame: 717, Equifax from myfico: 724, Overall Util: 1% (12/24/14), Total credit limits: $62,150, In the garden from 12/19/2014, AAoA : 7 months, Oldest account: 8 months, Newest account: 1 week, HP: 18.
Message 16 of 21
montoya83
Established Member

You should be able to get a capital one cc with that score.. your limit will probably only be 300 though

Chase SWAirlines 5k | AMEX Hilton Honors 2k | Capital Quick Silver 2k | Capital One 1.5k | Citi Hilton Reserve 7k
Message 17 of 21
Eschaton
Regular Contributor

I actually started with a Capital One Journey card. Never had a secured CC. I had a couple of negative marks back then with child support and was approved for 500, it was boosted to 750 after a few months. So you might have a good chance of being approved for one of those.

Another route you can go is to apply for a credit union CC. They are usually quite generous with their CL and aren't too difficult to be approved for. 

Good luck. 

Capital One Journey (12/2010) $750 | Chase Freedom (03/2012) $3500 | American Express Zync (03/2012) NSPL | Amazon Prime (08/2018) $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred (10/2018) $8000 | Bank of America Cash Reward 10/2018 $8000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 06/2019 $2700

Experian score: 793 (9/2018)
Message 18 of 21
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Chaselover wrote:

And why is that? I only have a BoA secured and Discover since 4 month ago (new to credit).

My secured card report more information to the bureaus than discover, it reports the total amount paid in the month, not only balance. Creditors can easily see that I use the card a lot and pay more than my limit (only $1000) and only have a balance for $40 or less that is PIF before due date.

If they take a look at my Discover, they don't know how much I pay each month, they only see a highest balance carried at any point for the card, but they see a $0 balance each month and not need to pay for the statement.

I guess next month I'll drop my secured card to $0 and let my Discover report $50 or so. I guess it still report the amount payed for the month even if the statement say $0.

Message 19 of 21
Chaselover
Frequent Contributor

@newhis wrote:

@Chaselover wrote:

And why is that? I only have a BoA secured and Discover since 4 month ago (new to credit).

My secured card report more information to the bureaus than discover, it reports the total amount paid in the month, not only balance. Creditors can easily see that I use the card a lot and pay more than my limit (only $1000) and only have a balance for $40 or less that is PIF before due date.

If they take a look at my Discover, they don't know how much I pay each month, they only see a highest balance carried at any point for the card, but they see a $0 balance each month and not need to pay for the statement.

I guess next month I'll drop my secured card to $0 and let my Discover report $50 or so. I guess it still report the amount payed for the month even if the statement say $0.

Hi, I will tell you my experience atleast. When I applied for the Bank America Cash Rewards card with mostly secured cards and when my unsecured cards had not started reporting, the rep told me that you don’t have enough history. So, I told about my secured cards history and the rep clearly told me: “Those are secured credit cards.”

Till then, I was thinking that the cards would not report as Secured Credit Cards (As I had not pulled my credit report after getting these cards till then). So, in my case atleast, I think having credit history with only secured cards don’t count much.

And just to note: the BOA card in my siggy is secured, which was an option given by the rep. 

In a committed relationship with Chase from 12/2012.
Age: 26, Income: $59,240/-, Current score: TU from CK: 750/A (12/24/14), TU Vantage score from CK: 775/C (12/24/14), Experian from Creditsesame: 717, Equifax from myfico: 724, Overall Util: 1% (12/24/14), Total credit limits: $62,150, In the garden from 12/19/2014, AAoA : 7 months, Oldest account: 8 months, Newest account: 1 week, HP: 18.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.