Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What cards do you recommend?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What cards do you recommend?

I'm mostly interested in cash back or travel rewards (just starteid with credit cards the past 2 years)
I currently have:

Citi TY Preferred student -- $5,800

Citi Double Cash -- $6,400

Citi Prestige -- $13,000
Chase Freedom -- $8,000
Victoria's Secret -- $1,950

0 late payments, always paid in full

Also debated on getting the chase sapphire preferred but not sure if it would be worth it since I have the prestige? 

Thanks Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: What cards do you recommend?

Chase it would depend on how many of those cards have been open in 24 months. I'm on mobile so can't see if you have a sig with FICO scores but maybe a venture visa?
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:
Chase it would depend on how many of those cards have been open in 24 months. I'm on mobile so can't see if you have a sig with FICO scores but maybe a venture visa?

Two of my cards will hit 25 months after July starts, My fico scores are about 740~750 the last time I checked Smiley Surprised

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do you feel like you need more cards? Just curious as I would think you would try to use the Prestige as much as possible to make up for that $450 annual fee lol

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Why do you feel like you need more cards? Just curious as I would think you would try to use the Prestige as much as possible to make up for that $450 annual fee lol

I guess I'm just an addict Smiley Sad always itching for a new one, and I've already got my annual air fare rebate, and am currently waiting on my 420$ 4th night rebate (since it takes about 2 statements), and have also earned the 50k signup bonus already since i opened it 2 months ago :/. not sure what else to do with it right now since I already took my trip for the summer

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Unless you plan to transition away from the Prestige and cancel it - in which case you might consider getting the CSP and pairing it with the Freedom - putting most of your spend on it would make the most sense, it seems, given the abovementioned reason.

In this case, you might consider getting a no-AF rotating categories card to complement your lineup, e.g. Discover it, which has double cash back the first year, which makes it a 10% rotating categories card for that first year.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend Chase Hyatt or Chase Marriott if you stay at those properties during your travels.

Don't have either of those yet, but they are on my list.

Won't be able to get Marriott for two years, but will try for Hyatt next month.

I'd personally ditch the Prestige since it takes a bit of effort to make the $450 AF worth it.

Message 7 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm mostly interested in cash back or travel rewards (just starteid with credit cards the past 2 years)
I currently have:

Citi TY Preferred student -- $5,800

Citi Double Cash -- $6,400

Citi Prestige -- $13,000
Chase Freedom -- $8,000
Victoria's Secret -- $1,950

0 late payments, always paid in full

Also debated on getting the chase sapphire preferred but not sure if it would be worth it since I have the prestige? 

Thanks Smiley Happy 

Some suggestions: Amex BCE, Cap One Venture, Barclays Arrival

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The Prestige is a card that IMO should be your daily driver if you're going to pay $450 a year for it. Adding a CSP on top of it is probably unnecessary -- is there a specific travel goal you want out of CSP that Prestige can't easily give you?

It's fine for us to recommend cards, but we need to know what you feel your lineup lacks. If you are just bored and looking for a card just for the sake of it, you'll end up with cards sitting in a drawer. I know you said "cash back or travel rewards", but what specifically do you feel you're lacking?

Message 9 of 22
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

It's never just about the cards.  It's about your requirements and what suits you.  What are you specifically looking for from a new card?  What purpose is not being served by the cards you currrently have?  If rewards are a priority then where is the majority of your spend going?

@Anonymous wrote:

You should be doing a careful analysis for any card you're considering and for cards that are in rewards programs like Thank You, Ultimate Rewards, etc you not only need to consider your major spend categories and earn rates on the cards but then entire redemption process as the speciic method(s) you can use with a given program can have a significant impact on reward value.  Just one of these programs typically requires running a large amount of spend in order to benefit.  Do you have sufficent spend for multiple programs?

Make sure you're running the numbers for your spend whether you're looking at cash back cards or cards in rewards programs like that.

If you can properly leverage TY then you don't need a 2% card like the DC.  Don't just look at earn rates.  Do the math.  Understand the acutal $ impact for your spend to help you in your decision making.

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I'm just an addict Smiley Sad always itching for a new one

Your requirements should drive card selection.  Don't just look for reasons to justify a new card.  If there's no requirement then there's no need for a new card.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.