Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What cards should I close?

tag
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

What cards should I close?

Hello everyone! 

I just recently paid off all of my credit cards so they all have a zero balance. I wanted to close the sub prime cards I had but I wasn't sure how this would impact my credit score? I will list the cards and the open date and would like so advice please! Thanks everyone! 

Bank of America- Sep 2013 Annual fee $37

Barclay- Sep 2013 Annual fee $0

Cap 1- Jan 2015 $0

Cap 1- Jan 2015 $0

Jcrew-Apr 2014 $0

Express- Apr 2014 $0

Credit 1- Jun 2013 $9.95 a month 

Discover- Dec 2014 $0

Fingerhut- May 2013 $0

Nordstrom- April 2014 $0

Amazon- Feb 2014 $0

Walmart- Feb 2014 $0

Paypal- Feb 2014 $0

EQ: 584 TU: 615 EX: 612

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: What cards should I close?

Really, your only subprime on there is Credit One. I would absolutely close that. The rest appear to be mostly Store cards. If you close too many at once before receiving CLIs on others, your UTL will be affected when you start reporting balances again (if you do, I mean). 

I am personally not a fan of store cards except for rebuilding, but I know there are many people on this forum that do like them. Really, it all depends on your spending habits and what benefit you get with each one. I find that the benefits of using my cards outweigh the benfits I would get from many store cards. However, YMMV. 

At a minimum, I would close the Credit One. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ultimately, the decision to close and which to keep comes down to your needs and spending habits.  So here is my suggestion-

Bank of America- Sep 2013 Annual fee $37 - Keep

Barclay- Sep 2013 Annual fee $0 -  Keep

Cap 1- Jan 2015 $0 - Combine limits and close 1

Cap 1- Jan 2015 $0 - Combine limit and close 1

Jcrew-Apr 2014 $0 - Do you shop there if so keep it then.  If not ,close it.

Express- Apr 2014 $0 - Do you shop there if so keep it.  If not, close it.

Credit 1- Jun 2013 $9.95 a month - Close

Discover- Dec 2014 $0 - Keep

Fingerhut- May 2013 $0 - Close

Nordstrom- April 2014 $0 - Do you shop there?  If not close it.

Amazon- Feb 2014 $0 - Keep

Walmart- Feb 2014 $0 - Do you shop there? If not close it.

Paypal- Feb 2014 $0- Is this through Comenity or Synchrony?  If it is through Comenity then keep because it is a hidden tradeline.  If it is through Synchrony which reports then weigh the options of your use.

Message 3 of 11
Callandra
Valued Contributor

I agree with closing Credit One. They're pretty much loan sharks and you've definitely outgrown them. I would try to get the AF removed from your BoA card. If they refuse, you should probably close it unless you want to keep paying the AF. Even though it's your oldest card, it really won't make that big of a difference if you close it. It will still report for 10 years and everything else will be 10 years older by the time it falls off anyway. 

What cards do you mostly use? I would base it off that. I would also combine the two Cap1 cards into one. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 4 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@mattayy wrote:

Hello everyone! 

I just recently paid off all of my credit cards so they all have a zero balance. I wanted to close the sub prime cards I had but I wasn't sure how this would impact my credit score? I will list the cards and the open date and would like so advice please! Thanks everyone! 

Bank of America- Sep 2013 Annual fee $37

Barclay- Sep 2013 Annual fee $0

Cap 1- Jan 2015 $0

Cap 1- Jan 2015 $0

Jcrew-Apr 2014 $0

Express- Apr 2014 $0

Credit 1- Jun 2013 $9.95 a month 

Discover- Dec 2014 $0

Fingerhut- May 2013 $0

Nordstrom- April 2014 $0

Amazon- Feb 2014 $0

Walmart- Feb 2014 $0

Paypal- Feb 2014 $0

I would close the Credit One, and leave the others alone.

Some day, when your scores are strong, you should call Bank of America and ask about getting rid of the annual fee.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I would advise anything with an AF be closed and as far as the rest if it doesnt fit your spending habit it should be closed. You want cards that will fit your spending habits.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have much to add, but wanted to make sure to put a strong emphasis on CLOSING CREDIT ONE! Close it right now, right this minute! Do not do it in the morning, not after you take a shower, not after you get something to eat real quick, close it right now!!!!

Overall your doing good, but Credit One is such an awful card and you don't need them anymore. It won't have any major impact on your score.
Message 7 of 11
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I would defitely close the Credit One immediately.

Pick out the cards that you don't use anymore and just sock drawer them. (Put them somewhere safe and don't use them anymore.)

There is absolutely no benefit to closing an account unless it has an annual fee. Stop using the cards that you don't want and the lenders will eventually get around to closing them. It might take them a few years to close them and in the mean time they will report in good standing every month helping you to build a rock solid credit file.

You also get the benefit of the cards contributing to your UTI as long as they are open.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 8 of 11
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

Pick out the cards that you don't use anymore and just sock drawer them. (Put them somewhere safe and don't use them anymore.)

There is absolutely no benefit to closing an account unless it has an annual fee. Stop using the cards that you don't want and the lenders will eventually get around to closing them. It might take them a few years to close them and in the mean time they will report in good standing every month helping you to build a rock solid credit file.

You also get the benefit of the cards contributing to your UTI as long as they are open.

Not necessarily. Closing cards can give one "peace of mind" and have one less card to monitor. It all depends on the person. I've closed my two oldest cards already (and I used the limit for my Barclays Rewards and put that on my Sallie Mae to get a higher limit so in that case, closing the card did create an advantage to me since Rewards was rendered useless once I got Sallie Mae). Closing cards isn't really -that- bad in the long run. Like I said, I've closed my two oldest and my TU is in the high 700s, almost at 800. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamie123 wrote:

Wrong on so many levels.  

Closing a card means it's no longer useful to you.  Walmart and CareCredit will suffer the same fate with me once PIFed and my util is down to a reasonable level as to not have an affect.  Both are rebuilder cards, which I used to rebuild.  Amazon is useful to me because I'm a prime member and get 5% cash back or special financing on bigger purchases.  Walmart gives me 5 cents (not 5 PERcent, 5 cents!) discount on gas.  CareCredit doesn't give me much of anything beyond a short interest free period, but I can get better rewards by putting those types of bills on my regular prime cards. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.