cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What cards to pay off to get my credit score up?

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: What cards to pay off to get my credit score up?

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

I would go for the ones with the highest interest rate

+1

But TBH, I would do the math. Look at your balances and their interest. Although you may have a higher interest on one card, a card with a much higher balance and a lower interest may still cost you more monthly in interest.

+2 for GaDawg, but disagree with heyarnold. I'm assuming that you're putting all of the bonus money into paying down cards. Because of that assumption, it would be better financially to pay off the higher rates first and trickle down. 

Example time: You get a $1k bonus. You have $10k on a card with 10% interest and $1k on a card with 30% interest. Without paying anythign off, you would accrue $1000+$300 = $1300 in interest from the two cards. If you paid off the 30% in full, you would accrue only the $1k from the first card. If you paid off as much as you could from the first card, you would still have $9k accrusing $900 on that card, plus the $300 of interest from the first card, for a total of $1200. Hopefully, you can see that it would be true even if your bonus was $2k (thus paying off card 2 plus as much as you can of card 1) or $500 (paying off as much as you can of card 2 is best). 

Don't worry about utilization rates yet. Get your debt under control, and long term, the utilization rates will drop and your scores will increase. Good luck!

Edit: As one of the posters above me said, make sure you make the minimum payments on all the cards before targetting the one with the highest interest rate. You don't want any baddies from failure to pay the minimums.

Remember, I said it may lol. It depends on OP's interest rate. We know the balances, but we are not aware of what OP's interest rates are. Take for example:

Balance $500, Interest: 22.00%/12 = 1.8333%,  interest to pay of balance: $9

Balance $5000, Interest: 20.00%/12 = 1.666%,  Interest to pay of balance: $80

Just because a lower interest rate is available on one card, depending on the balance, it MAY be wiser to pay a card with a higher balance first. 

I agree with the comparitive $ value of the monthly interest. You can marginally save by paying the lower value, higher interest card, but your bigger issue is the high value, similar interest card monthly $ of interest.

One thing people may not realize, however, is that the credit card interest rate calculations are higher than that. If 20% and 22% are the nominal rates, most credit card interest is effectively daily compunding.

20.00% on the statement actually calculates out to 22.13% if you were to just pay interest for a year.

22.00% on the statement is 24.60% over the course of a year.

The Excel formula I'm using is: ((1+([nominal int rate]/365))^365)-1

From there you can divide by 12 to estimate.

Next, it is advisable to try to find a lower interest rate card Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 14
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

+1

But TBH, I would do the math. Look at your balances and their interest. Although you may have a higher interest on one card, a card with a much higher balance and a lower interest may still cost you more monthly in interest.

+2 for GaDawg, but disagree with heyarnold. I'm assuming that you're putting all of the bonus money into paying down cards. Because of that assumption, it would be better financially to pay off the higher rates first and trickle down. 

Example time: You get a $1k bonus. You have $10k on a card with 10% interest and $1k on a card with 30% interest. Without paying anythign off, you would accrue $1000+$300 = $1300 in interest from the two cards. If you paid off the 30% in full, you would accrue only the $1k from the first card. If you paid off as much as you could from the first card, you would still have $9k accrusing $900 on that card, plus the $300 of interest from the first card, for a total of $1200. Hopefully, you can see that it would be true even if your bonus was $2k (thus paying off card 2 plus as much as you can of card 1) or $500 (paying off as much as you can of card 2 is best). 

Don't worry about utilization rates yet. Get your debt under control, and long term, the utilization rates will drop and your scores will increase. Good luck!

Edit: As one of the posters above me said, make sure you make the minimum payments on all the cards before targetting the one with the highest interest rate. You don't want any baddies from failure to pay the minimums.

Remember, I said it may lol. It depends on OP's interest rate. We know the balances, but we are not aware of what OP's interest rates are. Take for example:

Just because a lower interest rate is available on one card, depending on the balance, it MAY be wiser to pay a card with a higher balance first. 

+1

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay the ones with the lowest balances first. Then you will be able to take the time needed to pay off ones with the highest balances
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WLRK11 wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

+1

+1

The reason why I disagree with heyarnold's "may" is because you aren't paying off a card in full, but contributing a set amount of money to paying it off. If your choices were paying off the $5k card or the $500 card, I woul agree to pay off the $5k card. However, in actuality, you have a set amount of money to pay off a card with. If you had $5k to pay off a card in the above example, you could pay off the $500 and $4500 of the $5k, which would leave $8 of interest, vs. the $9 from just paying off the $5k card.

The reason why that marginal dollar is important is because of compounding interest. That dollar isn't accuring interest the next month, which makes it easier to pay off the remaining bill. Even if you could only pay off $1, and the choice was between a 20% and a 22% card, I would go with the 22% card, because you're "saving" 2 cents compared to the other card that you don't have to pay off. 

Hopefully, I've shown that the best LONG TERM solution is to pay off whatever interest rate is highest. However, your specific question asks about the affect on credit scores, which is where heyarnold and some of the others are correct and I am wrong. If you're looking for a short term bump, you want to lower your utilization by paying off the cards that have the highest utilization scores. If that is your goal, I think it is short-sighted. You will make your score go up more in the long run by reducing your debt the fastest, which involves nothing more than the interest rates. 

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.