cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What company or card is more generous on credit limits?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: What company or card is more generous on credit limits?

Meh, Chase, meh. The whole having to apply for a new card to get a real CLI or APR reduction leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Amex may not start you out with a huge limit, but they have the advantage of very frequently giving SP CLI's - at 61 days and then 6 months later. Your card can quickly grow. I've also had a lot of luck with Discover. For others it's not as good, but for me, it's grown from 2500 3 years ago to almost 10k.

Message 11 of 16
skigirl916
Established Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

Once you build some history with Chase, they're very generous. Although, in that case, you're better off cancelling your old card and apping for a new one. Not only will you get a higher CL but a more favorable APR as well (hell, that's the only way to get an APR reduction from them)

Why would you close it? Just get a new one. I have 4 Chase cards.

Message 12 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yes, but I think they were talking about the same card. For example, if you have a $500 Freedom @ 22.99, you can close it and apply for a new one and hopefully get, say, $2000 @ 15.99, or whatever. But you can't get approved for a new one while you still have the old one, when it's the same product.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say reapply after 26mos for new spend bonus
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex, Amex, Amex. The soft pull CLIs (which you can do every 6 months) can add up to quite a lot after a few years, especially since they will sometimes give you the coveted 3X CLI.

Message 15 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Meh, Chase, meh. The whole having to apply for a new card to get a real CLI or APR reduction leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

They do autoCLI even though it seems rare based on forum posts.  My wife has received several on her UMPE.  Still, if the OP wants to play the odds then Chase may not be the best choice versus some of the other options mentioned.

@skigirl916 wrote:

Why would you close it?

People vary.  Don't assume that your preference to keep all cards open to be universal despite the popularity of that strategy here on myFICO.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.