Established Member
blazzinbird

What could this mean?

I got a call from cap one last night wanting to verify my income. So what could this mean???
Valued Contributor
netpanther

Re: What could this mean?

blazzinbird wrote:
I got a call from cap one last night wanting to verify my income. So what could this mean???

Exactly what they said- that they want to verify income. Is this in reference to a card you already have- or one that you have just recently app'd for? If it is one you app'd for that is a good sign- it is under manual review.

If it is for one you already have- they may be looking at your totaly credit picture.

Need more info. Have you recently app'd for credit from Cap One and anyone else?
Established Member
blazzinbird

I applied for a new card with them over the weekend. I want to get rid of several of my cards. Want to go to 2 cards. So I get a call last night asking to verify my income.
Valued Contributor
netpanther

blazzinbird wrote:
I applied for a new card with them over the weekend. I want to get rid of several of my cards. Want to go to 2 cards. So I get a call last night asking to verify my income.

Ok- it just means they are taking extra steps to verify some stuff. Not a bad thing. Did they ask you to send any forms or just questions over the phone?
Established Member
blazzinbird

Just over the phone.

So it isnt a sign Ill be getting it then?
Valued Contributor
netpanther

Can't say. But it doesn't mean a "no" either. Call them up. However, a question to you- are you closing the other cards because they have an AF? If not...you may not want to close them, especially if you have had them a long time because history counts too...
Established Member
blazzinbird

2 of the ones im closing Ive had less then a year. One of them I cant even get ahold of.  The other has a high intrest which they said they wont reduce.
Valued Contributor
netpanther

If they aren't costing you anything you may not want to close them. And the one w/ the high apr- if they won't lower just sockdrawer it and dust it off  2x a year to keep the CL open. It is up to you but closing accounts can actually hurt you if it makes a big diff. in your avg. age and/or utilization.
Frequent Contributor
TheCynicalOne

netpanther wrote:
If they aren't costing you anything you may not want to close them. And the one w/ the high apr- if they won't lower just sockdrawer it and dust it off  2x a year to keep the CL open. It is up to you but closing accounts can actually hurt you if it makes a big diff. in your avg. age and/or utilization.

agreed.

sockdrawering is an awesome strategy.

It's like putting a naughty child in timeout, till they calm down and give you what you want.
Time is credit's best friend...it can heal any wound.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+