cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit card approves with Equifax but reports to all 3 bureaus?

tag
gabrielle

What credit card approves with Equifax but reports to all 3 bureaus?

I'm in a bit of a jam.  I just graduated, moved from Alabama to Indiana and I wanted to check on my credit and perhaps get a few more credit accounts before trying to buy a house next year. I have no debt (other than some money on a credit card), I have bought my car with cash, generally, I buy everything in cash. I only have one credit card from my credit union which I found out last week only reports to Equifax (very big down in the South). SO my TransUnion and Experian credit reports are completely empty. I now have a FICO score of 728 on Equifax and less than 20% debt on a $4000 credit limit. I have had my credit card for almost 3 years.

What credit card can I get that will use my Equifax to get me approved but will report to all 3 bureaus so I start building my credit on Experian and TransUnion?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: What credit card approves with Equifax but reports to all 3 bureaus?

Try to get in with a local credit union.  Nearly all CUs pull EQ.

I would call/write your current CU and see if it should be reporting to all 3 credit bureaus, and ask if they will report to the other two.  Worth a shot.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 25
gabrielle

I called my credit union in Alabama. They said it is a policy to report only to Equifax as its used most in the south. They can't report to the other two because it would cost a fee to do that.

Message 3 of 25
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

That must be a really small CU.  Try getting in with a CU near where you're at now and apply for a credit card.  Do you know your EQ score?  It may be difficult, as you have an extremely limited history, even on EQ.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 25
Tazman81
Established Contributor

I wonder if disputing with TU and EX the fact the card is NOT reporting on those reports may help.  You could always give them a call and see what they say.  Might be able to provide them the card data and they contact the credit union directly to ask that it be reported.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 25
aftermath
Established Contributor

@Tazman81 wrote:

I wonder if disputing with TU and EX the fact the card is NOT reporting on those reports may help.  You could always give them a call and see what they say.  Might be able to provide them the card data and they contact the credit union directly to ask that it be reported.

Good idea.  But I would like to add to this.  Make sure though when you dispute it, that your balance is $0 as most likely if TU and EX do verify and report it, the CU will never update it again as their policy is to only report to EQ.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 6 of 25
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Tazman81 wrote:

Is this possible? My thought is that the only thing you can dispute is wrong info, not missing info. IMO, lenders are not required to report, they are only required to report correctly if they report. I can be wrong though.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 7 of 25
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:

I would call/write your current CU and see if it should be reporting to all 3 credit bureaus, and ask if they will report to the other two.  Worth a shot.

Not necessarily.  This is very dependent on geographic location.  I have yet to find a CU in my area that doesn't pull TU.

Message 8 of 25
laz98
Senior Contributor

@valley_man0505 wrote:

@thrasher865 wrote:

Not necessarily.  This is very dependent on geographic location.  I have yet to find a CU in my area that doesn't pull TU.

it does say "nearly" Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@valley_man0505 wrote:

Both my local CU's have pulled Experian exclusively. 

I recommend Alliant CU (available nationwide) - they pull EQ.

And I still like Cabela's - which pulls EQ.

All my GEMB merchant cards pull EQ, but I'm not a super fan of merchant cards unless they serve a useful purpose i.e. you shop there a lot and they give discounts or some such.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.