cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit card should I apply for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What credit card should I apply for?

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking at your current limits, getting a 0% for $72,000 to pay taxes is going to be hard.  The IRS allows you to make payment plans. Have you looked into it?

I don't think he's saying he's got to pay 72k in taxes, I think he's saying his present total credit limits are 72k.

Yes, you are right. I should have asked for clarification as his signature has a different number. This below..

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 9.53.26 PM.png

My bad, I have Authorized User card which has $6k limit but did not include it.

Message 11 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I need to pay $3,900 tax, so I'm thinking if I could get approve higher than that with 0% intro.

Your Discover is at $5,600 limit.

Does Discover have any BT offers on your account? Does Discover have any 0% on purchases?

If a BT is available on your Discover, you could charge the taxes on another card (possibly with a basic reward rate) and BT to Discover.

Or if you have a 0% Purchases offer on Discover, just charge it directly there.

this x10000000 save your inquiries for something else. op could have BT offers available on disco, maybe BOA, etc.  if you dont see one on discover, chat em' up! same with BOA.

It does but it will expire in June 2016, so I'm just worried if I can' pay it in full that time. 

The June 2016 0% is from your original app of the Discover card? Good. Then use the Discover to pay for the taxes. Shows heavy usage of the card. Pay what you can ( heavily ) in to June, until the 0% expires.

Meanwhile, check on your two Bank of America accounts, whether you are getting BT offers from them. Call them if you are not, to see if any are available. They might not start immediately, but it likely at least triggers them to know you are interested. I get BT offers every month for my B of A cards.

Ensure that you are paying down your Quicksilver card to zero also. You want to have that available for a balance shift.

If you get a new BT offer on your Discover account after the June 2016 promo ends (look on the account information, under Balance Transfers for offers) then you want to BT the remaining taxes off your Discover, to your Capital One Quicksilver, using the No BT Fee that is available. Yes, you will pay a bit of interest for a couple of weeks on the QS while the balance is there, but then...

you BT the balance off the QS, over to your Discover again, taking advantage of the new BT offer, either a 3% fee or no-fee BT.

You can also BT to the B of A account, if that is the only option. My B of A offers recently changed from 3% fee to 4% fee, which isn't optimal, but if you are taking some time to pay, not a bad deal even at 4%.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I need to pay $3,900 tax, so I'm thinking if I could get approve higher than that with 0% intro.

Does Discover have any BT offers on your account? Does Discover have any 0% on purchases?

If a BT is available on your Discover, you could charge the taxes on another card (possibly with a basic reward rate) and BT to Discover.

this x10000000 save your inquiries for something else. op could have BT offers available on disco, maybe BOA, etc.  if you dont see one on discover, chat em' up! same with BOA.

It does but it will expire in June 2016, so I'm just worried if I can' pay it in full that time. 

The June 2016 0% is from your original app of the Discover card? Good. Then use the Discover to pay for the taxes. Shows heavy usage of the card. Pay what you can ( heavily ) in to June, until the 0% expires.

Meanwhile, check on your two Bank of America accounts, whether you are getting BT offers from them. Call them if you are not, to see if any are available. They might not start immediately, but it likely at least triggers them to know you are interested. I get BT offers every month for my B of A cards.

Ensure that you are paying down your Quicksilver card to zero also. You want to have that available for a balance shift.

If you get a new BT offer on your Discover account after the June 2016 promo ends (look on the account information, under Balance Transfers for offers) then you want to BT the remaining taxes off your Discover, to your Capital One Quicksilver, using the No BT Fee that is available. Yes, you will pay a bit of interest for a couple of weeks on the QS while the balance is there, but then...

you BT the balance off the QS, over to your Discover again, taking advantage of the new BT offer, either a 3% fee or no-fee BT.

You can also BT to the B of A account, if that is the only option. My B of A offers recently changed from 3% fee to 4% fee, which isn't optimal, but if you are taking some time to pay, not a bad deal even at 4%.

such elegant advice! I could not have said it better myself!  what we have just described here is the Debt Shuffle, it is my FAVORITE move when used responsibly and prevents extra accounts/inquiries and saves them for more cash back/point bonuses! WOOHOO

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I'm gonna do your advice, I have my offer fom BofA. I'm going to accept it and do that to pay my tax. Thank you very much for the advice!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.