Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit card so i apply to next?

tag
TheRealJosh94
New Contributor

What credit card so i apply to next?

I have now a thin, but established credit for about 1 year now. I got my first Credit Card through Capital One (Journey's). I've been paying my balance in full and never missed a payment. I have another Credit card in my file too (Discover it Student) and that also has the same picture as my Capital One. Now I've had no problems with paying my bill since I work part time and go to school, however, I want at least 3 and garden until my credit reaches 720+. As far as Hard inquires go I do have a few on my Eq. and TU. Since I live in Virginia, those are the main pulls banks do here. I'm a little hesitant to try to apply to a new credit card becuase of my inquires (6), but my last app was back in May. My credit score is at 694, average, but not the best. I was considering in applying to an American Express card (charge card) but I was reading that they're the hardest to get. If anyone that has been in my position and wanting to give me some advice that will be much appericated. I really want to get a new car under my name after school with the best rates, but I know it won't happen unless my credit is super. But anyways thanks again for taking the time to read all of this and please ask me any other questions if you need. 

Thanks again,

Josh

Current line: Capital One Journey's, $750, Capital One Venture 10k, Discover IT card, $2100 , American Express Gold Card, NPSL, BestBuy Citi Card, $4000, Chase Marriott 7k, Chase sapphire 3k, Citi simplicity 2k, Citi diamond preferred 2.8k.
Age: 20 Credit score: EQ: 760 TU:750 EX:745 Goal: 800 age 25
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What credit card so i apply to next?

I think you would be safe going for 1 more card since you're coming up on 6 months.  Because you're required to pay any balance in full, Amex charge cards are easier approval than their revolvers.  Have you tried their pre-qualifier?  I was approved for Preferred Rewards Gold (PRG) with a 656 Experian score, but that's only 1 piece of Amex's internal scoring.  Any negatives on your report?

Message 2 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Since you are a student, look at Citi Forward or SallieMae . Amex charge cards are supposedly easier then revolvers but if you decide to for a revolver the BCE -if your gas and grocery expenses are low; BCP if they are a bit higher.
Message 3 of 12
TheRealJosh94
New Contributor

I haven't actually I didn't know American Express had pre-qualifiers. Do you have a link that I could go to?
Current line: Capital One Journey's, $750, Capital One Venture 10k, Discover IT card, $2100 , American Express Gold Card, NPSL, BestBuy Citi Card, $4000, Chase Marriott 7k, Chase sapphire 3k, Citi simplicity 2k, Citi diamond preferred 2.8k.
Message 4 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@TheRealJosh94 wrote:
I haven't actually I didn't know American Express had pre-qualifiers. Do you have a link that I could go to?

https://www304.americanexpress.com/secure/my-special-offers%20?iframe=true&width=100%&height=100%

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 12
TheRealJosh94
New Contributor

It worked! Got approved for a American Express gold card! Very nice!
Message 6 of 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@TheRealJosh94 wrote:
It worked! Got approved for a American Express gold card! Very nice!

That's awesome, congrats!

Message 7 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 12
TheRealJosh94
New Contributor

Gold
Message 9 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Ok. I would have suggested the PRG for the rewards but you are now a member of the Amex Family....congratulations.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.