cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit card would be best for truck driver?

tag
vladrad
Contributor

What credit card would be best for truck driver?

70k year in diesel gas purchase. 20k year in other stuff like insurance, liceses, tolls and maintenance.

(its not for me its for friend). 

Thanks.

Citi "Diamond Preferred" (1k), Bank of America (12k), Capital One - secured (0.7k), AMEX Green - (5k), Chase Freedom (4.5k), Chase Slate (3.2k), Discover (3,75k), Chase Explorer (19k), Oldnavy (2.2k), Chase Amazon (3k), Orbitz Rewards (8k), Citi Double Cash (10,4k),
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Re: What credit card would be best for truck driver?

I'm not sure but I can tell you this FWIW.

I used to drive for a owner operator.

They would use, and prefer, American Express (Green) for all the buisiness related expenses, fuel, maintenience etc for their 3 trucks and just pay in full monthly. Basically it was a buisiness only card. They gave all the drivers one as a AU.

I'm not sure why they wanted to do it that way but Im sure they had thier reasons.  Because they used other revolvers for personal use.

I just remember him saying one time AE was the best choice to keep the trucks on the road during the month.

maybe something to look into.

Message 2 of 15
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

If you are looking for cash back maybe PenFed ?  5% at pump uncaped as it looks

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Conventional wisdom would dictate penfed or fort Knox for 5%, no cap, netting him $3500.00 just on fuel.

If I was your friend, I would churn like crazy.
You friend has a opportunity to collect massive sign up points and get his 5% on fuel.

Look for 5% on not just gas station, but supermarket, office supply store, and drug stores. They all sell gas gift cards.

He has the perfect job to do some MS on the side. He can easily get $10,000.00 year in cash back and points.

Message 4 of 15
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Conventional wisdom would dictate penfed or fort Knox for 5%, no cap, netting him $3500.00 just on fuel.

If I was your friend, I would churn like crazy.
You friend has a opportunity to collect massive sign up points and get his 5% on fuel.

Look for 5% on not just gas station, but supermarket, office supply store, and drug stores. They all sell gas gift cards.

He has the perfect job to do some MS on the side. He can easily get $10,000.00 year in cash back and points.

+1  might be little bit of a hassle going through gift cards but hey ...for all these sign up bonuses and cash back, miles and points well worth it Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Truck driver job would be a perfect cover for MS. I stuck at a 9-5 job with no MS opportunity.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't even churn because I'm afraid to fly.
Message 7 of 15
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Truck driver job would be a perfect cover for MS. I stuck at a 9-5 job with no MS opportunity.

..and it is not really MS because it is even used the way it is purchased / intended for.. ...gas gift cards  for gas purchase ....lol

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I talking about some ice cream cards to go along with gas gift cards. Truck drivers love ice cream and medicine, because he got sick eating all that ice cream
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Truck drivers should carry around those Old blue money that longtimelurker once had.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.