Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit cards for my profile? Want no annual fee and high(er) limit

tag
supervelous
Regular Contributor

Re: What credit cards for my profile? Want no annual fee and high(er) limit

Want to update this thread, not to brag but just to show how far I've come, maybe someone else will stumble upon this thread and get hope from it if they have a similar situation to mine.   Read opening post for context.

Since I started this thread I have obtained the following:

- Chase Freedom - $5,500

- Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6,200

- Discover It - $8,500

- American Express BCP - $2,000 initial, approved at 61 days for 3x CLI to $6,000

- US Bank - app for Cash+, got approved for lesser Cash Rewards for $5,000 in September, called last week and they PC'd me to Cash+, on the way

- American Express Blue Cash - Just app'd last night, approved $5K, I was gardening but this card has a great reward structure for those in the know

All but the last Amex(as there are questions as to how long it will be available.  It's an old version of the BCE and BCP that was no longer available until someone on myfico discovered the app) were part of an app spree in late August/September.  Pulled my FICO's on Christmas - 724 Experian, 725 TU, 730 EQ 

FYI, I bought and sold those PS4's and Xbox Ones I mentioned in opening thread using my Chase Freedom and Discover It and thus getting 5% cash back due to the Q4 categories.  I made over $1,000 profit reselling including the cash back.   I also have $800 in UR points ($400 and $200 bonuses + spend), cashed in $200 in Discover rewards, got $150 Amex Sign on bonus.  My best credit year by far!

Still a long way to go.  Want to maybe buy a house end of this year (no more apps till then).  Time to finally build up savings.  Car I paid off in October 2013 broke down a month later, needs new transmission $5,000.  Right after I paid the note off and got the title.  Not worth that much.  Instead of buying a new car and saddling myself with many years of high payments.  My gf wanted a new car, so she is buying one, and I'm buying hers.  Paying her 10,000 for an 09 Accord Coupe with only 36K miles.  For context I bought my last car for $26,500.  Resisted the urge to buy a nice new car, for the good of my finances.

Message 21 of 27
supervelous
Regular Contributor

HI All,

To re-update this thread with my progress, here are my current cards and info:

Chase Freedom - $5,500

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6,200

Discover It - $10,000  (got soft pull CLI from 8,500)

American Express BCP - $6,000

American Express Blue Cash- $15,000 (just requested CLI from $5,000 and instant approved)

US Bank Cash+ - $5,000

Still have my old BOA at $500, not asking for a CLI because don't want to use a HP and it doesn't have any rewards, just sock drawing it.  Also still have my old Express credit card.  

Compare to my original post, really not that long ago, trying to obtain non-toy limits!

My latest TU Fico is 732 from MYFICO and 739 on my Discover Statement.  I am letting my Discover report 1% Utilization when the statement cuts in a few days, it's currently reporting about 10%, all other cards reporting zero.  So, no credit card debt, only actual debt is $359 Sallie Mae student loan.  I have decided not to pay this off, the APR is 2% and I'd rather keep the ongoing pay history on an installment loan.  It will cost me about $5 in interest to keep making the payment on this at $30/month till paid off.

Message 22 of 27
black_citi
Established Contributor

Congrats! Smiley Happy I'm trying to do the same. I want to go back with chase and app for amex in the near future.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 23 of 27
supervelous
Regular Contributor

@supervelous wrote:

So, I have had credit problems in the past, no bankruptcies, not even any CO's on my record, but I do have a 90 day late from last 3 months of 07', and about 27 lates over the last 7 years, all other ones were 30 with one 60 day on my car loan maybe 3 years ago.  My car loan was also 30 in September 2012 and March 2012.  Besides those two I don't think I have any lates the last 2 years.  I am a renter.

I did have high utilization on my credit cards, lot of it due to low low limits.  I paid down all my credit cards to 0  via tax refund & a CU installment loan just opened a few weeks ago ($2,700), except my GE Amazon I just got a few months ago and is at 0% with $150 balance out of $700 limit.  My current credit cards, I haven't checked Equifax lately so I mostly report below what's on my Experian and TU.  Equifax I got FICO on 8/8 and even with most of the paid off CC's not reporting I had a 670 and got a score alert to 682 a few days ago.

Cap 1 - $0 (300 limit)

Cap 1 Orchard Visa - $0.00 but still reporting on Experian at $620, paid to 0.00 on 7/25/13, $0.00 on TU, CLOSED DUE TO ANNUAL FEE $79

Cap 1 Orchard MC - $0.00 but still reporting on both TU and Experian at $494 - CLOSED DUE TO ANNUAL FEE BEFORE CHARGED $59

Bank of America - 0.00 ($500 limit)

Commenity Express - $0.00 ($1,700 limit)

Chase Slate - $0.00 - still shows as $50 on credit reports, statement cuts 8/20 (250 limit)

Chase Slate 2 formerly WAMU -$0.00 ($300 limit)

GE Amazon $157 ($700 limit), just got in May 13'

Installment

Car Loan Connex Credit Union: $2,300 but reporting as $3650 on credit till next balance update (they owed me a big credit from an erroneous insurance add-on), might pay my $450 payment by next reporting date of 8/31/13, would the lower balance help?

Connex CU Installment Loan: $2,700 (new, showing on credit reports)

Sallie Mae:  $610 

I have the two 30 days on car from last year, but in the past year I paid a lot of debt down, and my income went from about 64k to 74k.  A month ago I had a utlity showing in unpaid collections from years ago, I disputed and it got removed from my reports.  My scores:

Equifax FICO - 682 (8/15/13)

Transunion FICO - 692 (8/20/13)

Transunion FAKO - 783 (says 800-900 is "B" range, I'm in C and says better than 49%)

Experian FAKO - 657 out of 830 or 850(says Medium risk), started at 561 on 7/27 before my credit cards started showing paid down and collection came off

Credit.com TU Fako - 749 (says my state average is 724 and National is 723)

Average Age of Accounts -  5 years 10 months  Oldest 10 years

I am finally at the point where I don't need credit cards at all, I can pay off the Installment loan within a month or 2 if I want, the car loan will be paid off November 30th freeing $450 from my monthly budget, then might let Sallie Mae sit for the payments since it has a ridiculously low rate.  But in as little as 3-4 months I can be debt free.

I want to keep or get a new card for paying in full each month and rewards, with no annual fee, or willing to pay annual fee is rewards make up for it.  But I don't want to inquire all over the place when my credit finally seems to be getting way better fast.  I have 3 inquries on report, 1 from May, 1 from March, and the other from March 2012.  I also want a high limit, these $300 - $500 aren't worth it to me.  I applied for Cap 1 increase and was denied, said recent late payment, I think it was in December of last year, but wasn't even a 30 day, just a "I forgot to pay it by due date and wasn't using auto bill pay at the time".  They also said my score was 603 from Equifax but said score date was 6/25/13 even though I hit CLI button on 8/14/13.  

So, what is my best bet for a high limit card with my profile?  Should I wait a month for the Cap 1 still reporting $620 to show $0.  Will my car note goign from $3,600 to $2,000 help?  A lot of my credit cards have 30 day late at soem point from when I was at breaking point in 2007, early 08, but all are current and no 30 lates for at least 2 years.  I had 40K in debt then and a much lower income, now at around 5,500 total debt.

Would appreciate any advice on a good card for my profile.  I wish I had 3 FICO's, I will be ordering soon but wanted to wait for all my cards to update from my consolidation before paying the $20 per FICO.   

Add:  I also want a CLI on Amazon, I plan on buying and selling a few PS4 and Xbox Ones I preordered right when preorders started. Would like to have them on the 0% rather than float $3,000 cash out for them before they are sold or returned.  So would like to have by beginning of November.  Might wait till then to apply.

Update!  About 1 year from this post, here is my updated status.  I now have the following lineup of cards:

Chase Sapphire Preferred:  $6,200

Chase Freedom: $5,500

Discover IT: $10,000

American Express Blue Cash Preferred: $6,000

American Express Blue Cash: $15,000

US Bank Cash+: $5,000

Express: $2,000

Chase Ink Bold: Charge Card, No Preset Spending Limit but they said something about $18,000

Barclays Arrival World Mastercard: $10,000 (just approved today)

Bank Of America: $500 old card, keeping bc of age, won't ask for CLI b/c of HP and no rewards

Pulled my FICO's the other day from myFICO and the scores were: TU 760, Experian 762, Equifax 763

I have no credit card debt, except for letting a 1% balance report on 1 card each month for scoring purposes.  Old car loan and installment debt mentioned in original post now paid off.  Only debt is a new 0% Auto Loan where the car is definitely worth more than the amount owed (about $8,000), so I'm not underwater.  Oh, I also got a new job with a big raise, AND I won a national weight loss contest for my company where top prize was $5,000 cash, tax free (well, my company grossed it up, so on the pay summary it looks like I got $8,500 and they pay out the $5,000).  And my girlfriend who lives with me was on the team and also got $5,000 so $10,000 for our household. 

I have 180,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points as well, and now over $10,000 in savings to go along with the zero credit card debt. I am not bragging, but I want to put out a positive story for anyone who was as frustrated as I was in the past.  It wasn't all that long ago I was on the very edge of declaring bankruptcy.  My paycheck would come in on Friday and be gone by the weekend.  Overdraft fees, collection calls, and a bad credit score.   Like I said in the original post, Capital One who I now will not do business with (it's petty but personal preference), turned me down for a CLI from $300.

It feels very good to be financially stable, well at least compared to where I was.  I still want to save up more, buy a house, travel a bit, and marry my gf.  Wish me luck.  Best of luck to all of you who may be still struggling, credit is a continous journey and I know I still can improve as well.  Thanks for all the advice I have gotten in these forums, I learned a TON!!!

Message 24 of 27
srchick
Regular Contributor

I am SO happy for your success! I just finished reading this entire thread, and am completely amazed at what you have accomplished in a really short time.  I was approved for the Chase Freedom ($2K limit) last week, and the Barclays Rewards MC ($1K CL).  After reading your posts (and so many of the helpful threads here on Myfico), I am planning my "method of attack" to use these cards very responsibly so I can gain the benefits of any and all rewards offered.  By the spring of 2015, I may add the Chase Slate to my "arsenal".  Thanks for sharing such an informative thread, and keep up the good work towards financial freedom. Smiley Happy

Starting Score Feb. 2013: 568
Current Scores: TU (715) {Myfico} EQ {Myfico} (723) EX (751)
Goal Scores: All at 750 by 3rd Qtr 2016 (Before tackling 800's) Don't procrastinate, take the first step!
Message 25 of 27
supervelous
Regular Contributor

@srchick wrote:

I am SO happy for your success! I just finished reading this entire thread, and am completely amazed at what you have accomplished in a really short time.  I was approved for the Chase Freedom ($2K limit) last week, and the Barclays Rewards MC ($1K CL).  After reading your posts (and so many of the helpful threads here on Myfico), I am planning my "method of attack" to use these cards very responsibly so I can gain the benefits of any and all rewards offered.  By the spring of 2015, I may add the Chase Slate to my "arsenal".  Thanks for sharing such an informative thread, and keep up the good work towards financial freedom. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the kind words!  My scores weren't too far from where you are right now, so in a year you could easily have my limits and scores, or better!  I couldn't believe how fast I went from not being able to get credit to getting approved for almost anything and at high limits.  It's like there's a tipping point and when you hit it everything turns for the better seemingly overnight, at least it seemed like that!  Best of luck to you in your credit journey, and as I'm sure you already know, this site is an amazing credit resource!

Message 26 of 27
hyprble
Regular Contributor

Congrats!  It's always nice to hear stories from those who've come so far!  I'm a year out from paying off all my cards and can't wait to be free!

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.