cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit cards to apply for help?

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: What credit cards to apply for help?

Sorry but based on what you have listed its all bad. State liens are very hard to be 'removed' they're usually released after its paid. You fail to mention if any of the liens are at least reporting paid. The maxed Discover and co with BoA is not helping.

I am one who had 3 fed liens ( paid, then eventually withdrawn) and a state lien ( paid, released) on my bureau and they are more than 9 yrs old. Before the fed liens were withdrawn, Chase and Discover would just laugh at me. They may not be considered prime to everyone but to me that was my measuring stick. My liens were only $1207 ( filed 3 for each state I owned property in)

Message 11 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Afaik, the 10 yr time period starts with date of lien. For instance my liens were for tax period 2004 but not filed until 2006. Thank god for the Fresh Start Program those liens would have been on my report for 3 more years.
Message 12 of 15
book1773
Valued Member

I appreciate everyones feedback. I figured I would lay everything out to see what everyone thinks since

you have members here from all types of situations. Good credit to bad  Bad to good. I know some of the

highest credit achievers came from horrible credit then worked there way up.  So from what everyone is saying

is to have him clear off the tax liens and 1 chargeoff so he is absolutely no negative things on his credit and then

apply for more tradelines. 

Note: I forgot to mention I just remembered I have another friend who has a $58K federal tax lien unpaid from 2010 and to top it off a BK from 2011

and he has about 10 credit cards approved with the lien showing. He told me he has Continental finance $300  , Valero Gas card $400, credit one  $500,

capital one  $500, barclays $500, firestone $1200, kohls  $300

Message 13 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@book1773 wrote:

I appreciate everyones feedback. I figured I would lay everything out to see what everyone thinks since

you have members here from all types of situations. Good credit to bad  Bad to good. I know some of the

highest credit achievers came from horrible credit then worked there way up.  So from what everyone is saying

is to have him clear off the tax liens and 1 chargeoff so he is absolutely no negative things on his credit and then

apply for more tradelines. 

correct

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 14 of 15
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

I was approved for my Capital One and Walmart card with a federal lien on my report. The lien was released a few years before. Once I it removed completely from my report i became eligible for prime cards....

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.