Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit cards to bring on trip

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: What credit cards to bring on trip

@red259 wrote:

Just spoke to citi to see if prestige comes with chip & pin and the CSR said it does. 

I would think it is chip & signature with option to use pin if signature is not accepted. (same as 99% of US issued cards)  I have used all my no  FTF cards in Asia with no issues and none are chip & pin. Some even had only magnetic stripe (Cap1 and US Airways) .. I never had to use the European chip & pin cards which I always carry with me.  I would more worry about overall acceptance of cards and not the card type. Many smaller places still are cash only. My recommendation is to take all no FTF cards and make sure you do not carry them in the same wallet. Separate them as back up in case you ever have something stolen. Also pack a couple of good ATM cards as you might need these more often than the credit cards.  Have a nice trip Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 41
red259
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Just spoke to citi to see if prestige comes with chip & pin and the CSR said it does. 

I would think it is chip & signature with option to use pin if signature is not accepted. (same as 99% of US issued cards)  I have used all my no  FTF cards in Asia with no issues and none are chip & pin. Some even had only magnetic stripe (Cap1 and US Airways) .. I never had to use the European chip & pin cards which I always carry with me.  I would more worry about overall acceptance of cards and not the card type. Many smaller places still are cash only. My recommendation is to take all no FTF cards and make sure you do not carry them in the same wallet. Separate them as back up in case you ever have something stolen. Also pack a couple of good ATM cards as you might need these more often than the credit cards.  Have a nice trip Smiley Happy

Really trying to limit debit card spend as much as possible. Although with the award stays and hotels and flights I think credit cards will be find for those and it will be more dealing with food and more local transport, but then again I'm the first to admit that I know nothing. Since I am located in NY I have access to the bank of china. Would you recommend something like opening up a bank of china account to get an atm card and use that for debits? My current bank will charge me an arm and a leg per withdrawal and I don't want to walk around with tons of cash on me all the time. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 22 of 41
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

I like to bring my Hooters card.

Yes, I am sure that would impress the Chinese government. 

Most popular restaurant in China right now, is KFC. I doubt that Hooter's would offend them. LOL

Message 23 of 41
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Really trying to limit debit card spend as much as possible. Although with the award stays and hotels and flights I think credit cards will be find for those and it will be more dealing with food and more local transport, but then again I'm the first to admit that I know nothing. Since I am located in NY I have access to the bank of china. Would you recommend something like opening up a bank of china account to get an atm card and use that for debits? My current bank will charge me an arm and a leg per withdrawal and I don't want to walk around with tons of cash on me all the time. 

There is no need to have an account with Bank of China. All you have to look for is a card that can access the most common ATM networks like Interlink, Plus, Star, Maestro, etc. ... and the ideal ATM card is a card that is not charging a fortune on ATM withrawals.  I love my Fidelity VISA debit for this matter (free ATM withrawals worldwide) and never had an issue unless the ATM was not open for international use Smiley Sad    The big hotel chains will certainly not be an issue in China but when you try to buy lunch or other small stuff it is mainly cash only. Also be prepared to pay 2-4% commission if you want to use a credit card. In Asia it is not uncommon that merchants will add a commission which is higher than the rewards. For me I also prefer to use credit cards and pay the 3% fee for CC use in Asia... I hate to pay cash but you will not be able to avoid cash payments in China.

Message 24 of 41
red259
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@red259 wrote:

There is no need to have an account with Bank of China. All you have to look for is a card that can access the most common ATM networks like Interlink, Plus, Star, Maestro, etc. ... and the ideal ATM card is a card that is not charging a fortune on ATM withrawals.  I love my Fidelity VISA debit for this matter (free ATM withrawals worldwide) and never had an issue unless the ATM was not open for international use Smiley Sad    The big hotel chains will certainly not be an issue in China but when you try to buy lunch or other small stuff it is mainly cash only. Also be prepared to pay 2-4% commission if you want to use a credit card. In Asia it is not uncommon that merchants will add a commission which is higher than the rewards. For me I also prefer to use credit cards and pay the 3% fee for CC use in Asia... I hate to pay cash but you will not be able to avoid cash payments in China.

Snce my debit card will hit me with fees I am trying to come up with an alternative, which is why I thought of bank of china. Sure I can use my debit card there but it will cost me. 

;
Message 25 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Snce my debit card will hit me with fees I am trying to come up with an alternative, which is why I thought of bank of china. Sure I can use my debit card there but it will cost me. 

Citigold would come in handy here. Citi has a presence in china, and you won't be charged foreign transaction fees for transactions overseas, and you would be able to use citi ATMs to get $$ without fees. 

Also, I know it's kinda BS, but if a merchant says they accept visa or mastercard, they are REQUIRED by their merchant agreement to accept your card, whether it is magnetic strip, chip and sig, or chip and pin. 

Message 26 of 41
red259
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Citigold would come in handy here. Citi has a presence in china, and you won't be charged foreign transaction fees for transactions overseas, and you would be able to use citi ATMs to get $$ without fees. 

Also, I know it's kinda BS, but if a merchant says they accept visa or mastercard, they are REQUIRED by their merchant agreement to accept your card, whether it is magnetic strip, chip and sig, or chip and pin. 

Yea, the problem with switching to citigold is that they will reissue my PP lounge card and I am concerned the new one would not arrive in time. Heck I am worried the original wont get herein time. 

;
Message 27 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Yea, the problem with switching to citigold is that they will reissue my PP lounge card and I am concerned the new one would not arrive in time. Heck I am worried the original wont get herein time. 

Just gotta ask them to expedite it. Citigold has it's benefits Smiley Very Happy 

Free foreign currency delivery to your house, debited straight from your bank account. 

Message 28 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

#DoublePost

I would also mention to citi that you're going on a trip soon and need your PP card...They might even let you charge it and reimburse you the fees if it doesn't get there in time.

I asked about using a US Air ticket to get into admiral's clubs, and the guy said "I'm not entirely sure about all the details with the merger yet, but if they won't let you in, call us, and we'll make sure you get in."

I'd assume something similar would apply to priority pass, but always ask about getting it expedited. I just got a loungeclub card for my sister from chase in 3 days. Citi isn't chase, but it's worth a try.
Message 29 of 41
red259
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
#DoublePost

I would also mention to citi that you're going on a trip soon and need your PP card...They might even let you charge it and reimburse you the fees if it doesn't get there in time.

I asked about using a US Air ticket to get into admiral's clubs, and the guy said "I'm not entirely sure about all the details with the merger yet, but if they won't let you in, call us, and we'll make sure you get in."

I'd assume something similar would apply to priority pass, but always ask about getting it expedited. I just got a loungeclub card for my sister from chase in 3 days. Citi isn't chase, but it's worth a try.

True, but my understanding is when you call citi they say they don't have control over the PP program. On a positive note I can upgrade my bank account and avoid atm fees. It raises the min I have to keep on depost, but I can do it for a month and then downgrade back down. 

;
Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.