cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit cards to get with fair credit rating?

tag
improvent363
New Contributor

What credit cards to get with fair credit rating?

Can someone tell me a list of other poor/fair unsecured credit card I can get besides the one below [except retail credit cards]:

Note: my credit score is 585 EX, TU 601 with no negatives ever in my CR.

Kohls charge card
Victoria Secret card
Capital one Platinum card [2 of them]
Express Next card
Continental Finance Matrix Discover® credit card
First Premier Platinum credit card
CreditOne Platinum credit card
Discover card
Billmelater account

I am just looking to apply to different compaines then the ones I already have, so as not to be rejected for having an account already with them.

So, please let me know!
Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: What credit cards to get with fair credit rating?

What are your scores (as in are they fako fico) and current limits...baddies aaoa ect?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 49
distantarray
Established Contributor

WHATEVER YOU DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT GET FIRST PREMIER 

First off There are creditors who will TURN YOU DOWN just for having First Premier in your history. Because they know they're a SUB SUB SUB SUB PRIME lender that even if you have a clean record now, they'll know how bad it was just recently. First Premier is like for a credit is like a cheap hooker at the corner of a 7-11 who charges premium prices. Once you've used one, good luck convining a girl you don't have HIV. That's pretty much how bad it is. Thank god I was able to remove them.

I've seen times when people got refused service for Amex because of it being on their reports. Also stay away from Credit  One if you can. Secured credit cards until Prime or NOTHING. (actually capital one can be ok, cause they offer both good and bad credit, but they throw 3 inquiries for an app)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 49
RebuildingAgain14
Valued Member

+1
Starting Scores: EQ 542/TU 500/EX 513
Current Scores: EQ 611/TU 611/EX 628
Goal Score: All 700+

Cap One Secured ($750/$701 'unsecured'), Cap One QS1($1000), Victoria's Secret ($250), Brylane Home ($500), Amazon Store Card ($600)
Message 4 of 49
improvent363
New Contributor

Can someone answer me please within 1 hour as I need to apply asap before the next day cause a CCA will put a negative on my account because of one missing payment! So please do let me know. 
Message 5 of 49
gettnthere
Established Contributor

Something isn't adding up here. How in the world do you have a credit score of 585 but no negatives at all? Have you pulled your reports and FICO's lately?

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 49
distantarray
Established Contributor

@gettnthere wrote:
Something isn't adding up here. How in the world do you have a credit score of 585 but no negatives at all? Have you pulled your reports and FICO's lately?

That's a very good point.... even with NO credit after 6 months you'll start around 650 is the lowest I've seen.... (minimal required to generate a FICO score) after only 6months of student loans reporting. with NO revolving lines of credit.

Honestly with a 585 I can only see secured credit cards in your near future. Minus First Premier kind of cards... at 585 I recommend apping for Digital Credit Union ASAP as 580 is the minimum to have an account with them. This way atleast you'll get a Free EQ Fico score each month so you know exactly where you should be. And go to Annualcreditreport.com  and call the number for your mailed in copy of your credit reports straight from each CRA. This way you'll know exactly what's on it (online version is not detailed as the one you get in the mail, it's a 8 minute phone call 100% automated so you can call at anytime)

Oh and don't even bothering apping for First Premier even if it's the only place that'll approve you unsecured. They do stupid things like $200 credit limit and $179 annual fee so a opening usable balance of $21. A secured credit card is MUCH better way to go.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 7 of 49
improvent363
New Contributor

My score are low because I have 6 INQ in my CR and high utilizaton [85% or more]. But don't worry about that since I really just want to know what people with poor/fair credit [with no negatives] apply for when looking for credit cards [except retail and the one I already have]. So if someone will give me a few suggest or even a list, that will help me a lot right now or in the near future.

Message 8 of 49
traveler2005
Established Contributor

I don't mean to be blunt, but if a CCA is putting a missed payment on your report, do you really need another card? Can you really afford it?

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 9 of 49
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@improvent363 wrote:

Can someone tell me a list of other poor/fair unsecured credit card I can get besides the one below [except retail credit cards]:

Note: my credit score is 585 EX, TU 601 with no negatives ever in my CR.

Kohls charge card
Victoria Secret card
Capital one Platinum card [2 of them]
Express Next card
Continental Finance Matrix Discover® credit card
First Premier Platinum credit card
CreditOne Platinum credit card
Discover card
Billmelater account

I am just looking to apply to different compaines then the ones I already have, so as not to be rejected for having an account already with them.

So, please let me know!

IMO you should get your utilization down, then garden..... 

But GE cards are a route to go..... and they grow with you! 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.