cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit cards to get with fair credit rating?

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What credit cards to get with fair credit rating?

My personal opinion.  OP, take what you have and garden it.  You need to learn to use what you've got before you get more.  I hope for the best with you.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 41 of 49
improvent363
New Contributor

I read everyone suggestions and come to the understanding that I shouldn't apply anymore and just get the UTL down. So I will just do that and get it down to 50% then get a new Credit card but after I closed my other credit cards that aren't good [first premier].

So thanks for all your suggestions. I didn't mind the harsh truth but I guess I needed it to put down my selfish desire to get into further debt which will be very bad for my family. So thanks again!

Message 42 of 49
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@improvent363 wrote:

I read everyone suggestions and come to the understanding that I shouldn't apply anymore and just get the UTL down. So I will just do that and get it down to 50% then get a new Credit card but after I closed my other credit cards that aren't good [first premier].

So thanks for all your suggestions. I didn't mind the harsh truth but I guess I needed it to put down my selfish desire to get into further debt which will be very bad for my family. So thanks again!

Well spoken.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 43 of 49
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

That's the spirit!  Keep the momentum going and get this limits increased.  As your score goes hit around 670, go for the Freedom or Discover More card.  Until then, stay away from those preapproved offers.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 44 of 49
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Well, that ended well! Nice, OP.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 45 of 49
codimom
Frequent Contributor

Good for you!  lets figure out a plan to see the light at the end of the debt tunnel....

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 46 of 49
distantarray
Established Contributor

@improvent363 wrote:

that's good, honestly you only need3 cards, but since you've already gotten all these cards just keep gardening with them, it can hurt your scores to close them especially with high balances. Pay them off to under 10% and you'll get MUCH better rates offers and higher credit limits. Remember a good credit score can earn you THOUSANDS a year in free stuff, don't mess your credit up now, it's worth SO MUCH more after you built a solid history. $500 and sometimes $1,000 offers are out there for people with Excellent credit, many give you the chance to take it and run which some people with the credit scores to support it will do, take it, use it, close the account and run with it. Since they never leave on technically bad terms they can often reapply when another deal happens the next year rinse and repeat.

My friend has done this for years now and he goes on two trips a year domestically and never had to pay for tickets.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 47 of 49
HiLine
Blogger

Message 48 of 49
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Glad you understood what the community was telling you.

Your credit will be great in the future if you follow our advise.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.