cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit cards to get with fair credit rating?

tag
toppers555
Established Contributor

Re: What credit cards to get with fair credit rating?

@traveler2005 wrote:

I don't mean to be blunt, but if a CCA is putting a missed payment on your report, do you really need another card? Can you really afford it?

+1 sounds like you are without a doubt overusing your crediting limits. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 11 of 49
calihlove75
Established Contributor

@improvent363 wrote:

My score are low because I have 6 INQ in my CR and high utilizaton [85% or more]. But don't worry about that since I really just want to know what people with poor/fair credit [with no negatives] apply for when looking for credit cards [except retail and the one I already have]. So if someone will give me a few suggest or even a list, that will help me a lot right now or in the near future.

If those are Fico scores, I don't know what you could be approved for with scores so low.  You need to get utilization way down. You might qualify for walmart when you get to 640 but just a regular store version. You would probably need 690+ for the discover version. You already have capital one.. You really cannot do anything with low scores like that aside from sub lenders  (cap one and first premier). I would garden and pay down balances.  Have you actually pulled your credit reports to make sure nothing negative is on there (lates, collections, etc)? Sorry.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 12 of 49
distantarray
Established Contributor

@improvent363 wrote:

My score are low because I have 6 INQ in my CR and high utilizaton [85% or more]. But don't worry about that since I really just want to know what people with poor/fair credit [with no negatives] apply for when looking for credit cards [except retail and the one I already have]. So if someone will give me a few suggest or even a list, that will help me a lot right now or in the near future.

85% ? -_-; like already mentioned I really doubt you'll get approved for unsecured with that score and 85% utilization..... pay your stuff down first.... if you have 2-3 that's all you need to build your credit. I only had 2 secured cards last year $1000 and $1500 and 1 store card Kays and it built my score upto 754.... 

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 13 of 49
alboto
Regular Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@improvent363 wrote:

85% ? -_-; like already mentioned I really doubt you'll get approved for unsecured with that score and 85% utilization..... pay your stuff down first.... if you have 2-3 that's all you need to build your credit. I only had 2 secured cards last year $1000 and $1500 and 1 store card Kays and it built my score upto 754.... 

+1

Message 14 of 49
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@traveler2005 wrote:

I don't mean to be blunt, but if a CCA is putting a missed payment on your report, do you really need another card? Can you really afford it?

I agree. We are not here to help people get further into debt. To the OP, It doesn't sound like you are treating credit properly and you need to fix what you have already.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 15 of 49
beb86
Valued Contributor

Why do you need to app for another card??? Best course of action would be to GW the late that is coming and then work on getting your UTIL down like way down and if thats all you have on your CR you should see your score shoot up..... I mean the UTIL is what is killing you.

Message 16 of 49
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@improvent363 wrote:
Can someone answer me please within 1 hour as I need to apply asap before the next day cause a CCA will put a negative on my account because of one missing payment! So please do let me know. 

We are a forum. We are here to hopefully provide good useful advice to improve your credit and maximize your cards. And with that said, I'll say this.

OP, you do not need another credit card. The only thing I would suggest is that you turn strictly to cash. Your UTL is way too high to be approved for anything at this point. Probably not even a secured card. Your high UTL would suggest to me that you are in credit card debt. Your scores are also extremely low for someone who says they have no negatives reporting. UTL affects your FICO yes, but not that badly where they push your scores into the 500s...unless you have a very thin credit file. You say you have no negatives but why do you say you need to apply for cards before your CCC reports a 30 day late? I'm confused. Whether or not the late payment has reported, you have a negative. Get your UTL down and manage the cards you already have. I would suggest you close any cards with AFs (ex. First Premier, Credit One). Also Bill Me Later is not factored into your UTL. Yes, they check your credit to determine your repayment ability but they are virtually a useless account if you are trying to build credit b/c they don't report anything except DEQ information, if any. Good luck in your credit journey.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 17 of 49
JustinNguyen
Contributor

lno late. No baddies. Scores 600s lower. Who the heck you talking to? LoL

Message 18 of 49
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@improvent363 wrote:

Can someone tell me a list of other poor/fair unsecured credit card I can get besides the one below [except retail credit cards]:

Note: my credit score is 585 EX, TU 601 with no negatives ever in my CR.

Kohls charge card
Victoria Secret card
Capital one Platinum card [2 of them]
Express Next card
Continental Finance Matrix Discover® credit card
First Premier Platinum credit card
CreditOne Platinum credit card
Discover card
Billmelater account

I am just looking to apply to different compaines then the ones I already have, so as not to be rejected for having an account already with them.

So, please let me know!

For the sake of sounding rude I am going to be as blunt as possible:

Your credit is in the trash, you're paying things late and you want to apply for new credit?  What are you thinking?  You need to sit down, take a long hard look at where you are with your credit and devise a plan to FIX it and GET OUT OF DEBT INSTEAD OF INCURRING MORE!  You are misusing what little credit you do have and are only getting worse.  You credit score of 585 is reflective of how you are handling credit. 

You need to apply for NOTHING and figure out how to get yourself out of debt. 

Message 19 of 49
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Enough people have weighed in with the opinion that OP shouldn't apply for more credit.  If anyone knows of other cards that might approve someone in OP's situation other than the GE cards that were suggested, that would be helpful.  Perhaps OP wants to add a card before the negative hits to help with utilization, and intends not to use the new credit line. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.