cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit cards to get with fair credit rating?

tag
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: What credit cards to get with fair credit rating?

You need to max out all your credit cards. 

Dont make no payment and ask for credit increase..........

if they don't grant it threat to closed until they do

App for Amex Blue Cash Prefer.....Call the backdoor if they denied and tell Amex you had Credit One with $299 CL and why would they turn you down !!!!!! LMao........just kidding.

I  think you need to paid down all your debt and be responsible with it OP.

You would had more change get approved with higher limit. 

85 % Utili with 585 mean 95% denied or 300 Limit.

Less than 9% Utili a boost in credit score will get you somewhere around 1000 or less so YOU PICK YOUR CHOICE .......and good luck.........

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 21 of 49
KBraggs
Valued Member

Hi OP,

I started out with Orchard secured since I had a charged off account for a significant amount, and they were basically the only ones who would approve me for anything.

Since you already have Capital one, there aren't many other viable (nor "good")  suggestions out there given your current situation. With all due respect, just stick with the cards you have now and save yourself the risk of further trouble. Even if you did apply for other cards, you will likely get declined, have HP's added, and be even more frustrated watching your score plummet becuase of inquiries. I know some people have been hard on you, but most of us are not here to bash you. We are here to give advice as you requested.

The capital one card may not grow like the others will, but at this point, that is not what is important. Companies need to know that you are worthy of credit, and the only way to do that is for you to prove it. Pay at least the minimum on time for a few months on your current cards (AT LEAST...maybe even a year), then you will be in a better position to apply for more

Do not be discouraged by any negativity you see on here. Most of the posters are here becuase they needed advice at one point as well, and if you have some patience and practice diligence, these issues will all be a distant memory.

Message 22 of 49
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

OP, you do not need any more credit extended to you.   You need to work with what you have until your scores improve.  Your issues stem from over utilization of your existing credit.  Obtaining new credit will not improve your scores if you are going to have a derog posted on it.  Work with the creditor to GW that derog off and pay down the rest of your debt until under 10%.  Request CLIs on those that you can and reduce the amount of effort you are in seeking new lines of credit.  You are a very high risk to lenders at this time.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 23 of 49
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Cmon give the OP a break. He's trying to acquire more credit before the cca maks his reports and you all are bashing it on him instead of giving him a hand. He has high util so what. From where I see it, that's the only thing hurting his scores right now and no one is suggesting options for that. Why don't we try to name one of the few creditors able to grant him a credit card in his current situation instead of keep brining him down.

If I knew who would accept you with such high util and low scores, I would have told you but let's just hope for someone with the right info to chime in and maybe you are able to recon it and get approved before the late payment appears.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 24 of 49
codimom
Frequent Contributor

You seem to already have the usual suspects, i mean usual cards for those with lower scores. 
if you have a local credit union, you might inquire with them to see if they have anything offer.

Unfortunately, with the lower scores and the looming late hitting your CR, I don't have any other suggestions for new credit.

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 25 of 49
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

@CruzImperial wrote:
Cmon give the OP a break. He's trying to acquire more credit before the cca maks his reports and you all are bashing it on him instead of giving him a hand. He has high util so what. From where I see it, that's the only thing hurting his scores right now and no one is suggesting options for that. Why don't we try to name one of the few creditors able to grant him a credit card in his current situation instead of keep brining him down.

If I knew who would accept you with such high util and low scores, I would have told you but let's just hope for someone with the right info to chime in and maybe you are able to recon it and get approved before the late payment appears.

He needs to pay that down, that's what.  Shuffiling his balance around would do the trick, but the fact still stands he's not taking care of what he has already.  We're here to help people manage their credit responsibly not get themselves into a deeper hole.  Credit is a priviledge, not a right.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 26 of 49
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Omaplatypus wrote:

@CruzImperial wrote:

He needs to pay that down, that's what.  Shuffiling his balance around would do the trick, but the fact still stands he's not taking care of what he has already.  We're here to help people manage their credit responsibly not get themselves into a deeper hole.  Credit is a priviledge, not a right.

Yes, but the fourth, fifth, sixth, etc. repetitive posts don't really add anything to the discussion. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 49
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Op needs to get util down and focus on taking care of the potential late being reported. Having a high util reported along with new inquiries and a new late being reported equals potential for a creditor to shut you down
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 28 of 49
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

The truth hurts!

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 29 of 49
KBraggs
Valued Member

@injustifiiable wrote:

The truth hurts!

*When delivered harshly and without tact. We can all weigh in and give useful advice without being jerks or sarcastic! Not too much to ask.

Message 30 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.