cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit cards will you NOT carry?

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Re: What credit cards will you NOT carry?

sure i can share why i like them.

capital one- i have several accounts and get good customer service and they always refund the overlimit fee on the card with the low limit.

discover- great customer service. and was given a reduced interest rate and a payment program when i got in a little over my head.

citi- i love. excellent customer service ran up a balance close to 10,000 and the account was at one time 120 days past due. but they worked with me, account is still open, good interest rate, etc.

wells fargo- top notch customer service. if they dont know the answer to my question, they find out and call me back within the hour.

us bank- i dont have yet but have heard great things about them giving generous clis once ur in the door and i bank there.

fifth third bk- same reason i like us bank.

hope this helps!
Message 31 of 45
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I carry:

Amex Plat
FIA Fidelity Plat Visa

Hate and will never carry:

Chase Visa Plat
Sears (in fact, no one is allowed to set foot in my house and be packing any Sears card, otherwise there's going to be a whole lot of blood and teeth flying around)Smiley Happy
Message 32 of 45
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

I will never have a Wamu card. 
I'm on the fence if I'll want an amex down the road.
Message 33 of 45
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

amex sucks. and people are starting to realize it. amex is supposed to be a card for the elite. but when elite cardholders start having charges declined and credit line decreased overnight and FR and accounts closed, they will kick amex to the curb and more people will hear of it and not bother with amex.

better to have a prestigous card you can actually rely on. amex doesnt respect long time card holders.

even the wealthiest people can manage their credit well but be the victim of a law suit or something and once they get a judgement, they will see how loyal amex is then.

AMEX is truly for those who live a simple life on a fixed income; it is NOT those who are  self employed or own any type of business.
Message 34 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Coming out of credit hell I love having an AMEX in my wallet, and hope it stays there...running scared on that one, though I treat it very well.

I carry my Discover More, BOA, Chase, and one Cap1, mainly because I did the card lab thing and have a picture of my much loved and missed cat, lost to old age, on it.
Message 35 of 45
score_building
Senior Contributor

Thanks CreditDrama for v. helpful detailed reply!

CreditDrama85 wrote:
sure i can share why i like them.

capital one- i have several accounts and get good customer service and they always refund the overlimit fee on the card with the low limit.

discover- great customer service. and was given a reduced interest rate and a payment program when i got in a little over my head.

citi- i love. excellent customer service ran up a balance close to 10,000 and the account was at one time 120 days past due. but they worked with me, account is still open, good interest rate, etc.

wells fargo- top notch customer service. if they dont know the answer to my question, they find out and call me back within the hour.

us bank- i dont have yet but have heard great things about them giving generous clis once ur in the door and i bank there.

fifth third bk- same reason i like us bank.

hope this helps!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 36 of 45
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Capital One has some pseudo-prime cards. I got an "Above Average Credit" card from them a couple of years ago. (Chose that because I didn't at the time have >$10K card).

I don't use my CapOne, but if I go to a country where most transactions are not in US Dollars, I'll take it with me. If I need a short term loan, I have a low rate (7.75 right now I think) and get no-transaction fee checks often. They don't seem to care if you carry a balance.

I will likely not ever carry any subprime card (Orchard, First Premier, etc).

Probably no GEMB cards.
No WaMu Cards.
No Wells Fargo products of any kind.
No WFNNB cards.
No Amex credit cards, but I may eventually get a Charge. Gets less likely the more I read about them.

I hate BoA, but I'm going to try to get my BoA card resurrected anyway.

Since others have posted their preferences too:

I may carry my Chase.
I carry Citi, primary right now
I want a Penfed card.
I carry FNBO Visa, but will drop it to SD when I get a Penfed Visa. Carrying it for backup network right now as it's a Visa.
I carry my Discover.
Message 37 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regular use:

Chase Continental Rewards
AMEX
Discover

The only card bank I refuse to EVER do business with is RBS. I will NEVER carry a CC issued by this bank.
Message 38 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would NEVER apply, much less carry Capital One.  Hate them from my "bad credit" days and now that I have "good credit", they bombard me with offers.  No stanks! Smiley Mad

I applied for and got Discover More but it's in the drawer.  Should never have applied for it.  I use my True Earnings AMEX for gas. 

All the talk about AMEX had my head swimming but I just keep on using my cards and paying them and so far, they've left me alone.  Whew!Smiley Very Happy
Message 39 of 45
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:
Carrying at the moment:

Juni-Barclays/Travelocity MC -- sees no action
Target Visa -- sees LOTS of action now that they CLI'd me to 7k (Love those coupons)
Discover More -- sees a bit of action, mostly auto-pay stuff
BofA Amex -- high util at the moment so it's dormant
DMB Discover -- sees action only so I can get to the next rewards tier before I close it
HSBC UPC MC -- sees no action/high limit emergency card
Chase Amazon Visa -- using it like crazy b/c of 90d intro bonus points
3 Store cards

Sock Drawer:
Amex DG (soon to be Options) -- CLD'd me
Cap 1 MC -- actually, this got misplaced during the move so I'm sure it's near a pair of socks somewhere
Macys -- I'm a bit grumpy about the denial for the Visa upgrade

Plan on never having:
WaMu

Great thread, btw.  You've reminded me I need to move a few cards to the SD as well as locate that Cap1 MC.  Smiley Happy

You do make minor charges to that HSBC card every other month to keep it active, right? Lots of folks have been burned by HSBC when they tried to use that card they had squirreled away for an emergency only to find it had been closed due to inactivity w/o notice.
Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.