Established Contributor
masscredit

What determines maximum credit limits, income or use?

It's probably a given that someone who makes $100k+ per year and has decent credit will be more likely to obtain high credit lines.  But in general, is there much of a relation between a maximum credit limit and income?

I was self employed until 2008. Mostly showed income around $50k with a max of just over $100k one year. But, a lot of my major credit cards were used for business expenses. I'd run $50k-$100k through them some months and pay the new balance in full. The limits on those cards kept going up. They were in the $25-$80k range. Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever had to verify income. I just listed what I made and that was it. I guess the use and payments more than justified it. 

I wish I would have kept track of my credit scores then because I wonder what they were. 

|****$5500****|****$4500*****|****$2500*****|****$1600****|****$3000****|*****$750******|*****$700*****|
EX - 680 (Credit Sesame 03/02/14) TU - 665 (Walmart 04/05/14 ) EQ - 691 (FICO -04/05/14)
Regular Contributor
CardsLifeLine

Re: What determines maximum credit limits, income or use?

Your Credit Score, AAoA, Payment History and Annual income [ to some extent] only. Also, it dependens on undrelying bank which have defined risk score modle to assign credit limit. 

AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX GREEN(NPSL)/AMEX BLUE(1K)/AMEX BCE(4K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFFERED(8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(2K)/CHASE AMAZON(1.8K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(12.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(15K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard APPLE(1.5K)/DISCOVER IT(3K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ AMAZON STORE(2.3K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(4.3K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/TJREX(400)/KOHLS(600)/AE(2.5K)/Capital One Platinum(1.5 K)– Total 31 Cards
Established Contributor
masscredit

wajidkhanp wrote:

Your Credit Score, AAoA, Payment History and Annual income [ to some extent] only. Also, it dependens on undrelying bank which have defined risk score modle to assign credit limit. 

I wonder if guidelines have substancially changed over since the mid '90s.  My credit wasn't that great back then (dumb credit choices when I was younger). My credit really took off after I started doing my own thing in the late '90s.  Back then I would say that I bought my credit back because I was using the cards for my business and giving them a lot of use. The limits really went up quick and I had no problem buying a house, multiple $30k-$50k car loans ect, ect... 

Now, my income isn't close to what it was before, I probably only put about $800. on my cards each money and it's a long, slow climb back to having good credit. 

|****$5500****|****$4500*****|****$2500*****|****$1600****|****$3000****|*****$750******|*****$700*****|
EX - 680 (Credit Sesame 03/02/14) TU - 665 (Walmart 04/05/14 ) EQ - 691 (FICO -04/05/14)
Valued Contributor
CreditScholar

masscredit wrote:

wajidkhanp wrote:

I wonder if guidelines have substancially changed over since the mid '90s.  My credit wasn't that great back then (dumb credit choices when I was younger). My credit really took off after I started doing my own thing in the late '90s.  Back then I would say that I bought my credit back because I was using the cards for my business and giving them a lot of use. The limits really went up quick and I had no problem buying a house, multiple $30k-$50k car loans ect, ect... 

Now, my income isn't close to what it was before, I probably only put about $800. on my cards each money and it's a long, slow climb back to having good credit. 

Yes they have. Back then (and even as recently as 2006) banks were handing out credit to almost anyone with a pulse. Since the GFC they've tightened up credit standards in an attempt to limit their exposure to bad debts. They've loosened up a bit in the past year or two, but it's still nothing like what it was 5-15 years ago.

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Regular Contributor
CardsLifeLine

Agree
AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX GREEN(NPSL)/AMEX BLUE(1K)/AMEX BCE(4K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFFERED(8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(2K)/CHASE AMAZON(1.8K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(12.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(15K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard APPLE(1.5K)/DISCOVER IT(3K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ AMAZON STORE(2.3K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(4.3K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/TJREX(400)/KOHLS(600)/AE(2.5K)/Capital One Platinum(1.5 K)– Total 31 Cards

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+