Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What did I do wrong?

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: What did I do wrong?

you should probably do some digging, either someone stole your identity and did your SSN right, you and your father have the same name, or you are worth millions. i don't think anyone at 18.5 years with no credit history has received anything close to your cards/limits. that is the reason we are all dumbfounded and in disbelief. "to good to be true"

you still havent answered "were you an AU on your parents cards at an early age?"

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Message 51 of 68
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Nonetheless, you got approved. BS or not, good for you.

Message 52 of 68
tjones9234
Contributor

I just got a delta gold with a 1k limit and I'm old! What did I do wrong lol com on now!!
Message 53 of 68
knhorn
Contributor

I can believe the OP. If his parent or guardian started his credit profile at age 13 or 14 combined with putting a high income on the application, it doesn't seem very surprising. I know someone who is 18 years old who has a story similar to the one I just mentioned and was recently approved for a Cash+ with a high starting CL. Maybe an existing banking relationship with Chase explains the five figure starting CL. If you are being honest, congrats to you OP. I started my credit with a blank slate at age 19 and couldn't even get approved for a $500 credit union CC. I'm 22 now and have learned a lot in the past 3 years. Don't ruin your credit or spend beyond your means.

Message 54 of 68
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I'm not believing someone who has no history got approved for these two cards either, but why do so many people turn so negative at the thought of someone getting help from their parents? One thing is that your parents don't have to be wealthy to assist you with credit. A partent making 24000 a year with a 5000 limit is going to help the child's credit just as much as a parent making 2.4 million a year with a 50000 limit. Another is that some people grow up with money and others don't. It's no one's fault which family they're born into, but it is your fault if you show jealousy or just rudeness because someone may come from a different background then you. The comments about "mommy and/or daddy" are uncalled for and not something one would expect from grown ups. It's very possible this person is trolling, but there's no reason to resort to childlike rudeness.

Message 55 of 68
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And even if you think someone is trolling, you can always just ignore it.   Don't worry about people "wasting" time trying to help a troll, that's their choice as well.

We don't know who is trolling, you don't know if ANY of the posts on this site (or elsewhere) represent anything near the truth.   I might be a 3-month old baby from Cape Town who can't even SAY "credit card", let alone have the collection I claim in my sig.     Bad information, of which we see plenty, is potentially much more harmful than a deceptive post.

Message 56 of 68
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I'm not believing someone who has no history got approved for these two cards either, but why do so many people turn so negative at the thought of someone getting help from their parents? One thing is that your parents don't have to be wealthy to assist you with credit. A partent making 24000 a year with a 5000 limit is going to help the child's credit just as much as a parent making 2.4 million a year with a 50000 limit. Another is that some people grow up with money and others don't. It's no one's fault which family they're born into, but it is your fault if you show jealousy or just rudeness because someone may come from a different background then you. The comments about "mommy and/or daddy" are uncalled for and not something one would expect from grown ups. It's very possible this person is trolling, but there's no reason to resort to childlike rudeness.

Agree with this 100%

EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 57 of 68
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

I'm just curious as to why the Delta Amex and Chase Marriott? At 18 I wasn't doing much flying or hotel hopping. I would have done an Amex EDP/ BCP with a CSP if I were you. At least those are cards that are beneficial and could be rewarding now and in the future. 

Message 58 of 68
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

keithB,

All I did was applied for two credit cards, posted my results, and now you are flaming me and attacking me because you have an issue with believing me? And then you went on saying how you don't trust a lot of things in this world and on YouTube. You can call me a kid if you want, but I will be a bigger man and just ignore you.   I will keep to myself my theory on why u like to flame people on the internet Smiley Happy

+1 

If he is Trolling then let him troll and ignore him . If he isn't then ignore him anyways. 

While it sounds implausible I wouldn't say it is impossible to get his first Chase card with a $12,000 limit. Could just be families income if he is adding that or his own supports a $12,000 Credit limit. 15.24% APR is the norm so wouldn't look at that number  

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 59 of 68
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@DrZoidberg wrote:

I'm just curious as to why the Delta Amex and Chase Marriott? At 18 I wasn't doing much flying or hotel hopping. I would have done an Amex EDP/ BCP with a CSP if I were you. At least those are cards that are beneficial and could be rewarding now and in the future. 

Chase Marriott does offer a Free night so the Free night alone can be worth it even for an 18 year old imo.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 60 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.