Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do with AMEX Optima ?

tag
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

What do I do with AMEX Optima ?

As part of a settlement with AMEX (PIF not a CO), I accepted an Optima card almost 3 years ago.  I've steadily improved my credit standing and applied for, and was approved for a Gold Delta Skymiles.  The question is what do I do with my Optima Card?  I'd like to move on from the stigma of the Optima, but with an MSD of '81, there's a real benefit to keeping it around.

Thoughts?

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: What do I do with AMEX Optima ?

Once you have the DGSM, contact Amex CS and see if they will let you PC the other card.  If not, go ahead and close it.  It will stay on your report for ten years and continue to help your AAOA.  Make sure you get the MS date on your Delta, too.

Ten years from now, if you need the extra AAOA, go ahead and app for another Amex backdated card.

Message 2 of 5
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@p- wrote:

Once you have the DGSM, contact Amex CS and see if they will let you PC the other card.  If not, go ahead and close it.  It will stay on your report for ten years and continue to help your AAOA.  Make sure you get the MS date on your Delta, too.

Ten years from now, if you need the extra AAOA, go ahead and app for another Amex backdated card.

+1

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 5
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

MSD was correct on my new Delta card right out of the gate.  I contacted AMEX to see if they would move my Optima CL over to my Delta card...no dice.  To be sure, I have a call into their executive office to have them validate.  Interestingly enough, the CSR (who was incredibly helpful) practically urged me to request a CLI on my Delta card (had for 2 weeks) since I couldn't move my Optima CL over.  It was all I could do not to say anything about the "61 day wait".  Smiley Wink

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 4 of 5
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

You open a new account and get 33 years of credit along with it.

Say what you want about AMEX but that incentive alone beats any other firm's incentive on the market.

To add they have the most generious CLI opportunity in existence and soft pull declines.

What's next? No more hard pulls for existing card members no matter if declined or approved? Smiley Wink

Thanks for sharing and updating us on the process. Smiley Happy

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.