cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do with my Barclaycard (regular) Arrival?

tag
csryang
Frequent Contributor

What do I do with my Barclaycard (regular) Arrival?

I am planning to apply for the Arrival+ card sometime soon. I previously had the Arrival+ card but downgraded to the regular Arrival almost 6 months ago. Overall the general consensus is that you will NOT be approved for any Arrival card if you currently have any version of Arrival card. I wonder if product changing Arrival to another Barclaycard could bypass that and could work the same as canceling the Arrival card in order to get Arrival+ card. 

What should I do in preparation of that? 

1) Close the (regular) Arrival card now.

2) Product change the (regular) Arrival card to another Barclay card.

I researched online and most people did option one but I wonder if option two works better or similarly in the eyes of the credit analyst or in the approval process? Any data points on option two vs option one?

About me:

Current TU 750+. 2 new accounts the past 6 months and around 10 accounts the past year. I have not applied for any Barclaycard for almost 1 year. I've called in regularly for APR reduction and CLI of about 4k every 6 months. Currently I only have two Barclaycards: Arrival (downgraded over 6 months ago) and Aviator (just downgraded to the regular one).

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
csryang
Frequent Contributor

Re: What do I do with my Barclaycard (regular) Arrival?

Bump~  Feedback anyone??

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call and PC to the Rewards card, if you can. When you apply for the Arrival, you can close the rewards card and move the credit line to the Arrival+ if you have no need for the rewards card.

Message 3 of 9
sjt
Senior Contributor

@csryang wrote:

I am planning to apply for the Arrival+ card sometime soon. I previously had the Arrival+ card but downgraded to the regular Arrival almost 6 months ago. Overall the general consensus is that you will NOT be approved for any Arrival card if you currently have any version of Arrival card. I wonder if product changing Arrival to another Barclaycard could bypass that and could work the same as canceling the Arrival card in order to get Arrival+ card. 

I researched online and most people did option one but I wonder if option two works better or similarly in the eyes of the credit analyst or in the approval process? Any data points on option two vs option one?

About me:

Current TU 750+. 2 new accounts the past 6 months and around 10 accounts the past year. I have not applied for any Barclaycard for almost 1 year. I've called in regularly for APR reduction and CLI of about 4k every 6 months. Currently I only have two Barclaycards: Arrival (downgraded over 6 months ago) and Aviator (just downgraded to the regular one).

Why can you product change your Arrival to the Arrival +?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 9
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would call and PC to the Rewards card, if you can. When you apply for the Arrival, you can close the rewards card and move the credit line to the Arrival+ if you have no need for the rewards card.

I am totally leaning towards doing this!! This is also in case if they decide not to extend more credit to me on my future Arrival+ application. I can then recon with them to offer to move credit from my Rewards card.

I am just wondering why most people seem to close their Arrival card first before applying again for Arrival+ later ???

Is it because the system will still recognize it as Arrival and hence block the approval of future Arrival+?? Maybe I am just thinking too much and most people did not even think of product changing Arrival and do that route (2) before applying for Arrival+.

Message 5 of 9
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@csryang wrote:

About me:

You meant "why CAN'T you product change your Arrival to the Arrival+?"

Well, the answer is that sometimes there's no such option and even if it's an option, I will not get the opening bonus of 50k from product changing Arrival to Arrival+! So, it's always better to re-apply for Arrival+ rather than product changing into it.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

At one point, prior to their website upgrade, I had an offer I could click on to upgrade my Arrival to an Arrival+.  I didn't do it at the time and when I called in to see if it was available I was told I didn't have that offer.  They did just send me some kind of double miles offer for spend on the categories that are typically found on the rewards card however.

Message 7 of 9
sjt
Senior Contributor

@csryang wrote:

@sjt wrote:

@csryang wrote:

About me:

Well, the answer is that sometimes there's no such option and even if it's an option, I will not get the opening bonus of 50k from product changing Arrival to Arrival+! So, it's always better to re-apply for Arrival+ rather than product changing into it.

Correct, I meant "can't."

Regarding the bonus, I thought if you had or have a Arrival card you would not qualify for the $50K bonus.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 9
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@csryang wrote:

@sjt wrote:

@csryang wrote:

About me:

Correct, I meant "can't."

Regarding the bonus, I thought if you had or have a Arrival card you would not qualify for the $50K bonus.

Shhh... let's just say that most people have proved this partially wrong. The issue is being approved for another card though. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.