cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do folks say when calling back door number?...

tag
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

What do folks say when calling back door number?...

For a bump to an initial credit line?

i'm going hitting aping soon for several cards and don't know what to say really?

"Hi, I just got approved for XXX card with a1500 limit but I want 4K instead, so gimme?" ? Smiley Tongue

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Re: What do folks say when calling back door number?...

Just be polite  and  firm with  your   request be prepared to anwser some questions

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 2 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Above all else:
Be polite and courteous

Then, if the rep is rude:
Try not to lose your cool

It's like a job interview or dating someone new lol..

Tell them what they want to hear so you can get what you want ;-)

And always have a reason WHY you want the extra credit.
I find that if you just level with them and remind them of the competition, that helps too.

Ultimately though, your FICO shall set you free!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 8
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I am always really nice and courteous to them. I normally say that I am looking to make a big purchase to take advantage of a 0% offer but I don't want to do it at the credit limit I'm at because I'm trying to watch my utilization. Sometime if I feel it's not going well, I will say that I really want to put it on this card because it's my favorite card to use. Cat Tongue   I've normally gotten the increase with the exception of Old Navy. They just don't love me all that much *lol*

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 4 of 8
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Well, the first time I tried, I wound up dealing with an off shore cap one rep. After his general "conservative lender..blah blah blah" speech, he proceeded to put me on hold, without telling me. I thought I was hung up on. I pretty much lost it, and yelled into the phone, "I can't fu****g believe it...(more obscenities)," but he caught part of it. Needless to say, he said no...
Message 5 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Like the others have said, politeness and a "smile" in your voice goes a long way.

As far as purpose, I think it depends on the card, your purpose, and what you get initially as a CL.  If it's a modest CL, one can say that you're planning a major purchase since you're remodelling your home or redecorating, or something along those lines.  Or you can say that you're planning a vacation (first long vacation that you've had in several years) and you need a CL that will accommodate flight and hotel purchases (and you can throw in, depending on the card, that you LOVE the card's reward structure!)  Or you can say that you'll be putting a substantial part of your household expenses through the card (gas/groceries/etc) SINCE IT"S SO CONVENIENT and you'd like a higher limit so that your utilization remains acceptable. 

These are things that have worked for me, and can work for either an initial application and/or recon, or a CLI/recon. Do it very conversationally, talk to the card rep like s/he is a friend, use terms such as "I'd like" rather than "I need".  Another thing I've found is that, if you don't get greedy, they can sometimes suggest a higher amount.  This also worked for me with my Merrill Lynch card, credit analyst suggested a good starting point and asked me if that would be enough.  I could have asked for more, but the offer was generous, and one can always go back and ask for more at a later time, if it's truly a necessity. 

In the past 4-5 years in my rebuilding process, I can honestly say that, when talking with a credit analyst or senior CSR, I've never been turned down for a CL or CLI request. It's those darned pesky automated responses that will frequently generate a denial, but when one talks to a real person, the outcome can change.  And as you've probably read here before, can be dramatically!

Message 6 of 8
remarc
Regular Contributor

Message 7 of 8
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

Like the others have said, politeness and a "smile" in your voice goes a long way.

As far as purpose, I think it depends on the card, your purpose, and what you get initially as a CL.  If it's a modest CL, one can say that you're planning a major purchase since you're remodelling your home or redecorating, or something along those lines.  Or you can say that you're planning a vacation (first long vacation that you've had in several years) and you need a CL that will accommodate flight and hotel purchases (and you can throw in, depending on the card, that you LOVE the card's reward structure!)  Or you can say that you'll be putting a substantial part of your household expenses through the card (gas/groceries/etc) SINCE IT"S SO CONVENIENT and you'd like a higher limit so that your utilization remains acceptable. 

These are things that have worked for me, and can work for either an initial application and/or recon, or a CLI/recon. Do it very conversationally, talk to the card rep like s/he is a friend, use terms such as "I'd like" rather than "I need".  Another thing I've found is that, if you don't get greedy, they can sometimes suggest a higher amount.  This also worked for me with my Merrill Lynch card, credit analyst suggested a good starting point and asked me if that would be enough.  I could have asked for more, but the offer was generous, and one can always go back and ask for more at a later time, if it's truly a necessity. 

In the past 4-5 years in my rebuilding process, I can honestly say that, when talking with a credit analyst or senior CSR, I've never been turned down for a CL or CLI request. It's those darned pesky automated responses that will frequently generate a denial, but when one talks to a real person, the outcome can change.  And as you've probably read here before, can be dramatically!

Thanks for the great information!! 

You make a good point about saying "I'd like" rather than "I need".  I am seriously leaning toward the everyday purchases/better util and rewards comment since that is probably what they would see on my statements now anyway.  Then at least the analyst will know I am not planning on going hog wild but rather continuing my established pattern but with an improved Util from the higher limits.

If I get a woman, I will just go with I really want to take my wife on a nice weekend away for her birthday or anniversary etc etc. 

Thanks again.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.