I went from carrying a million cards around to only a select few. Keeps the urge away to charge other cards.
Now I only carry:
Chase Freedom (1) Main card
Discover More (2) Backup card
Walmart Discover (3) Just in case card
I shredded up my CAP1 card today! It felt soo good! Account is still open but I totally killed the card. More room in my wallet!
1. Citi Forward (primary for 5% restaraunts)
2. Priceline Visa Sig (2% everywhere for all other purchases)
Everything else is SD unless there is a 5% category or other promotion that makes sense (for ex I called to cancel my Citi Premier card and was given an offer for 10k points after 3k spend in 3 months). Doing the math it yeilds me greater points per dollar than my Priceline Visa Sig so I will be using it for the next 3 months or until 3k. Also, I use TY points only for Student Loan rebates for the time being which nets me the greatest return for my TY points.
CSP go to card for non-category & Travel
BCP 6% groceries 3% gas 3% department stores
Citi Forward 5% restaurants and movies amazon
Freedom 5% categories
1. Drivers License
2. Student Photo ID
3. Health Insurance Card
4. Multi tool
5. Library card
6. Discover More (Main Card)
7. Citi Dividend (Back up)
8. NFCU Cash Rewards (Back up to the back up)
9. USAA Debit Card
10. Dust where cash would go.
Bofa signature cash rewards
Us Bank cash rewards,
all other cards sd. Thinking about getting an Amex card to add.
TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!
What I carry is dictated primarily by my business travel (am a points freak):
1. Amex BCP: 6% groceries, 3% on gas (great card, $725 cash back this YTD)
2. Chase Marriott Reward Visa: Marriott hotel stays (company policy in certain areas), overseas due to 0% FTF
3. Citi AA Executive MC: Admirals club membership, overseas due to 0% FTF, Chip and Sig, AA tickets and wherever Amex isn't accepted.
4. Amex PRG: Everything else including most business exp/.month, free extra cards for my family.
5. USAA Debit card: No ATM fees, 1% cash overseas
Interestingly, most Hitlon Hotels don't require me to present my Hilton Amex (No Fee) card I use to book my rooms with, so I use it a lot but never carry it.
Also, cards 1 - 4 all have annual fees, but I compare what I get vs what I spend and I get more from the card than it costs me.
SD has everything else (too many) including those with 0% Bal Transfers I utilize when needed.