cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do if a place doesn't accept credit cards?

tag
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Re: What do you do if a place doesn't accept credit cards?

The supermarket I shop at does not take CC payments. I have no problem using my debt card there. Also many of the Vietnamese restaurants I eat at are cash only.

My only concern would be if it was a large purchase (tv, appliance) then I'd go where CC was accepted extra protection.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 51 of 55
stevenngu92
Contributor

My grocery store (WinCo) doesn't accept credit cards only debit and cash. I kinda like that as it allows them to price their groceries lower due to not having to pay the fees from credit cards according to the employee. I carry cash though, so a place not accepting credit cards usually doesn't bother me.

Amazon Store Card ($6000) Amex BCE ($10000) Amex PRG (NPSL) BofA Better Balance Rewards ($3000) Best Buy Store Card ($5000) Chase Freedom ($2500) Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7900) Citi Prestige ($5000) Discover It ($10500) Walmart Discover ($6000) Wells Fargo CB ($4700)
Message 52 of 55
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@stevenngu92 wrote:

My grocery store (WinCo) doesn't accept credit cards only debit and cash. I kinda like that as it allows them to price their groceries lower due to not having to pay the fees from credit cards according to the employee. I carry cash though, so a place not accepting credit cards usually doesn't bother me.

WinCo is the greatest grocery chain in the universe and its a good example of someplace that doesn't take ccs for good reason. That's one of the ways that they're able to keep those incredible low prices. It always strange to spend $100 - $200 without a credit card (which I always do at WinCo because there isn't one near me and I only shop there on special trips), but people in the west who are lucky enough to know WinCo probably understand. Employee owned, bag-it-yourself, no ccs, and they're kicking Walmart's ass for groceries in every market they share.

Message 53 of 55
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Yes, that is the grocery store i shop at. Great prices, open 24/7.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 54 of 55
Mrm-na
New Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@stevenngu92 wrote:

WinCo is the greatest grocery chain in the universe and its a good example of someplace that doesn't take ccs for good reason. That's one of the ways that they're able to keep those incredible low prices. It always strange to spend $100 - $200 without a credit card (which I always do at WinCo because there isn't one near me and I only shop there on special trips), but people in the west who are lucky enough to know WinCo probably understand. Employee owned, bag-it-yourself, no ccs, and they're kicking Walmart's ass for groceries in every market they share.

It's a pretty good store, I agree.  I normally shop at a super WalMart, but I like WinCo also for strictly groceries.

WinCo was more impressive to me when I was on a road trip in Arizona.  Coming from California, I was amazed how much cheaper AZ was for groceries, gas, and well probably everything.

I like being able to use a credit card at WalMart and I wish WinCo allowed that, but as long as the prices are low I can live without it. (see? Now I'm on topic!)  I'm not worried about purchase protection with groceries.

I think WinCo loses some business from the self bagging requirement.  It doesn't bother me because I used to be a grocery bagger, but I know some people get bothered by it and self conscious that they're not going fast enough or whatever.

I wish WalMart would *upgrade* to self bagging. They have the worst checkout design ever. They put no thought into the bagging aspect at all. They have no baggers, just cashiers, yet the cashier also has to do all the bagging with no real provision for the customer to take care of it.  There's no usable space for groceries to accumulate either.  It's the worst of all worlds in terms of efficiency, and it makes for painfully slow checkout lines. But I save money there, and they take my Sallie Mae card, so I put up with it.

Message 55 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.