Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you guys consider a high limit.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you guys consider a high limit.

I know this question based on personal opinions but I just though I'd ask. Me and a colleague were have a discussion yesterday about the amex situation and this lead into us tell what cards we held and their limits. He pretty much has the same cards that I do besides a couple. When he told me that his Discover IT, and CSP had low limits of 10k and is Discover IT has an 8k limit. I kind of looked at him like dude....those are pretty good limits. I told him the highest limit I have is 5k, but to my defense I have this limit among a few card but still 10k is a great limit. I told him Discover only have me 1k Smiley Sad. So in you guys opinions what do you consider a high limit? To me a high limit is anything over 8k.
Message 1 of 128
127 REPLIES 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What do you guys consider a high limit.

@Anonymous wrote:
I know this question based on personal opinions but I just though I'd ask. Me and a colleague were have a discussion yesterday about the amex situation and this lead into us tell what cards we held and their limits. He pretty much has the same cards that I do besides a couple. When he told me that his Discover IT, and CSP had low limits of 10k and is Discover IT has an 8k limit. I kind of looked at him like dude....those are pretty good limits. I told him the highest limit I have is 5k, but to my defense I have this limit among a few card but still 10k is a great limit. I told him Discover only have me 1k Smiley Sad. So in you guys opinions what do you consider a high limit? To me a high limit is anything over 8k.

I'd say a high limit card would have a limit high enough that you never have to worry about going over the limit. For me, that would be only like $5k, but for most, I'd say around $15k.

Message 2 of 128
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Short answer: I think $10k is high.. But once I get my 3x CLI in July, I'll be in 5 figure CL (hopefully)

Long Answer: Thing is, once a person reach their target CL, (5 figure for me) we'll eventually think that this is not enough, and we aim for something higher. This just goes on and on.. By then, one's limit will probably will be in the upper 5 figures and we'll see $10k as "low." It really just depends on the person like you mentioned.

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd say a high limit card would have a limit high enough that you never have to worry about going over the limit. For me, that would be only like $5k, but for most, I'd say around $15k.

By that standard, every one of my crappy cards is high limit.

Message 4 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say $10-$15k are good limits. We don't usually put more than $2000 on them a month.

Message 5 of 128
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

High limit is 5k or NPSL....depending on who you ask

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 6 of 128
sunkissed
Established Contributor

There’s no answer to this question really.  What I would consider “high” is based on many factors.  For example, if a 24 year old making $28,000 a year who had little or no credit history had a credit card with a $8,000 limit, I may consider it “high”.  However, if a 44 year old making $128,000 a year with a long, clean credit history has a $8,000 limit, I may not be as inclined to consider it “high”.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 7 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

A limit in the 5 digits I'd consider high. I have gotten to a point where $5k limit isn't high for me personally.

Message 8 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

6 months ago with my one card I felt that 10k was the limit I desired, a high limit.. Now I feel like if it isnt 10k its low. Mind you I only make 35k (army) but I hate using my "favorite" card with a 5k limit. I think 10k is a solid limit, but would like my cards to be 15k or more

Message 9 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yes-its-me I am the same. I have a few 5k cards and I don't think that's high for me either. I'd like to get the point where I have 2 high limit revolvers with my amex green NPSL.
Message 10 of 128
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.