Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you suggest?

tag
LLMT
Regular Contributor

What do you suggest?

I was just talking to my parents tonight about getting a rewards card instead of using their basic, no-frills credit card. I know they have excellent credit, but no specific details. They currently have only one credit card, paid off mortgage, & just recently paid off car loan. The credit card dates back at least 15 years and they get auto loans approx every 5 yrs through CU with excellent rates. They PIF their cc every month, but typically only use if for gas, "shopping" or large purchases. I am sure they would use it for groceries & other things if they were earning rewards though. I know they would like to earn cash back, but they also fly from PA to CA once a year or so, so airline redemption options wouldn't be bad. What type of rewards card would be best? Any fantastic bonuses or preapproval sites to try? My mom mentioned that she usually just tosses the preapprovals but would maybe start looking at them now. Lol! She did say her coworkers have been telling her to get a Chase Freedom.
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: What do you suggest?

@LLMT wrote:
I was just talking to my parents tonight about getting a rewards card instead of using their basic, no-frills credit card. I know they have excellent credit, but no specific details. They currently have only one credit card, paid off mortgage, & just recently paid off car loan. The credit card dates back at least 15 years and they get auto loans approx every 5 yrs through CU with excellent rates. They PIF their cc every month, but typically only use if for gas, "shopping" or large purchases. I am sure they would use it for groceries & other things if they were earning rewards though. I know they would like to earn cash back, but they also fly from PA to CA once a year or so, so airline redemption options wouldn't be bad. What type of rewards card would be best? Any fantastic bonuses or preapproval sites to try? My mom mentioned that she usually just tosses the preapprovals but would maybe start looking at them now. Lol! She did say her coworkers have been telling her to get a Chase Freedom.

CSP for miles

+

Freedom

1-2 punch

Amex BCP gas 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Chase Freedom, CSP and Amex BCP.

Freedom / CSP for rewards and travel
BCP for gas and groceries

Edit: myjourney you beat me again!
Message 3 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Chase Freedom, CSP and Amex BCP.

Freedom / CSP for rewards and travel
BCP for gas and groceries

Edit: myjourney you beat me again!

Rested all day ...Lol

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 20
LLMT
Regular Contributor

Lol! I probably should have mentioned I don't see them getting more than one additional card (and then honestly they would probably use it and no longer use their old one ever!).
Message 5 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

CSP in that case

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

CSP or BCP.

Since the PIF, you might want to look at PRG.
Message 7 of 20
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

CSP for each one!
Message 8 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 9 of 20
LLMT
Regular Contributor

I think Amex may scare them off since they really only do ever carry one card and it isn't accepted everywhere. Is there a big advantage for the CSP over Freedom for regular spending?
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.