Regular Contributor
LLMT

What do you suggest?

I was just talking to my parents tonight about getting a rewards card instead of using their basic, no-frills credit card. I know they have excellent credit, but no specific details. They currently have only one credit card, paid off mortgage, & just recently paid off car loan. The credit card dates back at least 15 years and they get auto loans approx every 5 yrs through CU with excellent rates. They PIF their cc every month, but typically only use if for gas, "shopping" or large purchases. I am sure they would use it for groceries & other things if they were earning rewards though. I know they would like to earn cash back, but they also fly from PA to CA once a year or so, so airline redemption options wouldn't be bad. What type of rewards card would be best? Any fantastic bonuses or preapproval sites to try? My mom mentioned that she usually just tosses the preapprovals but would maybe start looking at them now. Lol! She did say her coworkers have been telling her to get a Chase Freedom.
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: What do you suggest?

[ Edited ]

LLMT wrote:
I was just talking to my parents tonight about getting a rewards card instead of using their basic, no-frills credit card. I know they have excellent credit, but no specific details. They currently have only one credit card, paid off mortgage, & just recently paid off car loan. The credit card dates back at least 15 years and they get auto loans approx every 5 yrs through CU with excellent rates. They PIF their cc every month, but typically only use if for gas, "shopping" or large purchases. I am sure they would use it for groceries & other things if they were earning rewards though. I know they would like to earn cash back, but they also fly from PA to CA once a year or so, so airline redemption options wouldn't be bad. What type of rewards card would be best? Any fantastic bonuses or preapproval sites to try? My mom mentioned that she usually just tosses the preapprovals but would maybe start looking at them now. Lol! She did say her coworkers have been telling her to get a Chase Freedom.

CSP for miles

+

Freedom

1-2 punch

Amex BCP gas 

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
I will be gardening until a better offer/bonus comes along
Last escape 06/06/13 Bronze 7/6/2013 Silver 9/6/2013 Gold 12/6/2013 Palladium 3/6/14 made it...6/6/14 Plat is all mine
09Lexie

[ Edited ]
Chase Freedom, CSP and Amex BCP.

Freedom / CSP for rewards and travel
BCP for gas and groceries

Edit: myjourney you beat me again!
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

09Lexie wrote:
Chase Freedom, CSP and Amex BCP.

Freedom / CSP for rewards and travel
BCP for gas and groceries

Edit: myjourney you beat me again!

Rested all day ...Lol

Last escape 06/06/13 Bronze 7/6/2013 Silver 9/6/2013 Gold 12/6/2013 Palladium 3/6/14 made it...6/6/14 Plat is all mine
Regular Contributor
LLMT

Lol! I probably should have mentioned I don't see them getting more than one additional card (and then honestly they would probably use it and no longer use their old one ever!).
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

CSP in that case

09Lexie

CSP or BCP.

Since the PIF, you might want to look at PRG.
Regular Contributor
Omnipotent

CSP for each one!
09Lexie

Regular Contributor
LLMT

I think Amex may scare them off since they really only do ever carry one card and it isn't accepted everywhere. Is there a big advantage for the CSP over Freedom for regular spending?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+