Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you suggest?

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: What do you suggest?

@LLMT wrote:
I think Amex may scare them off since they really only do ever carry one card and it isn't accepted everywhere. Is there a big advantage for the CSP over Freedom for regular spending?

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-card.aspx?CELL=63WS&sapphireprefsplit=...

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-freedom.aspx?CELL=63WS&sapphireprefsplit=1

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 20
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Amex will Ben accepted at almost all supermakets and gas stations. I hhave yet run into one that accepted visa/mc only. What kind of spend would you Guess they could do a month
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 12 of 20
LLMT
Regular Contributor

Thank you!!
Message 13 of 20
LLMT
Regular Contributor

Hmm it is hard to guesstimate...with none of my Dad's "shopping" it would probably be pretty minimal maybe $500/mo for gas & groceries. But he likes to buy random things whenever he feels like it so that could increase it greatly depending on when he purchased things.
Message 14 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

@LLMT wrote:
Hmm it is hard to guesstimate...with none of my Dad's "shopping" it would probably be pretty minimal maybe $500/mo for gas & groceries. But he likes to buy random things whenever he feels like it so that could increase it greatly depending on when he purchased things.

Tip

If you wish to respond to someone's message 

Hit reply under that message 

Then hit quote top right corner 

Enter message

Won't work on IPAD tho...sorry:smileywink:

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 15 of 20
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

I would really try to open them up to the Chase combination (CSP + Freedom). I just did this with my parents last week, and got my parents set up with those two cards and the United Explorer.

I believe that if you explained to them the perks of everything, they might be enticed a little more! The only card that is extremely confusing is the Freedom; however, I made it easier by printing out the 2013 calendar for them and will probably do this in 2014 as well. I will also probably have to activate their rewards every quarter and transfer points from the Freedom to the CSP.

After everything they are so excited about it, that my mom really tries to make an effort to always use the right card and I know they are doing it well!

If two cards is too much, then definitely don't try to add the BCP into the mix. However, for the meantime, I found my parents have an easy time remembering the following:

CSP--everything (especially dining/travel unless 5% category)

Freedom--only things on 5%

If they are into more cash back, this system will also give them an easy system with that. Chase is also very user-friendly, so my mom knows she can call the back number on the card no matter what! She loves how the Visa Signature is an automatic person (in comparison to the waiitttttt with American Express that they've had before).

Maybe this sounds too pushy, but let them know it's so worth it! I have a page I gave to my parents if you'd like (explaining when/when not to use cards)! Just message me!

Message 16 of 20
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

What credit card do they currently have? It may be possible to just do a PC to a better card.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 17 of 20
LLMT
Regular Contributor

myjourney- I am on my phone so sorry I cannot quote. I am sure this is a pain to read!

jenn_barr- thanks so much! Glad to know someone has had this experience!

Themanwhocan- it is through our small regional CU...I think the only option we saw was just a flat 1% rewards.
Message 18 of 20
Crashem
Valued Contributor

BCP sounds perfect for them but be warned about af after first year. So make sure they spend enough for bonus
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 19 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

Both cards have AF's 

But UR point are unbeatable which make CSP by far better IMHO

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.