cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think about this triple-point card?

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

What do you think about this triple-point card?

Santandar Bravo MasterCard
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What do you think about this triple-point card?

Tough to get. Manual U/W.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are better cards out there IMO. The 3x on gas is pretty routine (boa cash rewards, am ex Costco, Sallie Mae wmc beats it, aarp card) 3x on groceries ( am ex bce, Sallie Mae beats it). The 3x dining is nice but is matched by chase aarp.  IMO get 2 cards and save yourself the AF.

Message 3 of 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

This may be the one card I've never bothered to even attempt. Oh wait Simmons First and Iberia too. Like Nixon said manual UW. Come to think of it I don't recall seeing anybody approves for one.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Decent card without the AF. I am very picky about AF cards and only get them if: 1) Awesome sign-up bonus; or 2) Awesome consistent rewards for my spend. Most of my AF cards are sign-up bonus cards I cancel after the first year. The only long-term AF card I have kept is the CSP because of its 2x restaurants category and my high restaurant spend and my high valuation of UR points (I value it as 2% per point or 4% restaurant card with no spend cap). Any AF card for me has to have exceptional rewards and the Satander Bravo does not have exceptional rewards. As others have stated, you have better cards (or at least equivalent cards) for every category that have no AFs. 

Gas? Sallie Mae or Pen Fed Gas Card

Restaurant? Chase AARP or CSP (AF)

Supermarkets? Sallie Mae, BCE, or BCP (AF). 

While having one card with multiple decent categories is nice, I would rather have 2 no-AF cards that do the same or better to 1 AF card. For me an AF card has to be something I can't match with 2 or more non-AF cards or it has to have a very nice sign-up bonus. This card has neither. 

Also +1 to comments about manual underwriting. To me, however, that is not something I would even consider until the threshold question of whether the rewards/AF fee is worthwhile is answered. 

Message 5 of 8
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:
Santandar Bravo MasterCard

Very lackluster offering, IMHO.

It might be worth it to you to take the HP for the first year, get their sign-on bonus, 10k points ($100) for spending $k within 90 days, and 15k points for $5k of the gas, groceries, and restaurants spending.

For a moment it looked like it might be somewhat worth keeping until I noticed that the 3x categories are limited to 15k points, or $5k spend.

The fact that it's points rather than cash back is a disappointment; points can be devalued.

I wouldn't subject myself to the manual underwriting hassle.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 6 of 8
scorewatcher7
Valued Member

without looking online, I have never heard of it. If you like it, go for it....

Message 7 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Basically, the $49 annual fee sorta kills the rewards on the Sandander Bravo card. There are better alternatives:

The Cash+ info is outdated, as only Fast Food restaurants qualify for 5% on the Cash+ now. Still, this chart still shows better alternatives.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.