cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think the best travel card is for me? Opinions please.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you think the best travel card is for me? Opinions please.

Just wanting some opinions. 

I know Ill be taking another big trip this year. Probably going to propose while im there!

Last year me and my S/O went to mexico. Cost me $3500 and wish I would of saved my CSP UR Points. It was my main dining and entertainment card.

HOWEVER I recently closed it due to the AF about to hit and my main dining card has become my navy federal card which is 3% CB.

My scores are in the upper 700s with 3% utilization currently reporting.

I AM NOT loyal to one brand or another. When we went to MX we flew United and was happy with the service.

Mainly looking for a good hotel card/airline card for this trip that isnt official yet. Planned to get the CITI Prestige but IDK about the AF. I only consider it $200 after the airline credit and I knot it would pay for itself since the 4th hotel night is free but its just a VERY large AF. I want a card I can keep and that provides travel perks that I WILL CONTINUE to use. 

Monthly spend is only $600 a month I live with my folks. 

Main spend is movies/dinners/clothes. Gas and groceries go on my Sallie Mae.

Thoughts please?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: What do you think the best travel card is for me? Opinions please.

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wanting some opinions. 

I know Ill be taking another big trip this year. Probably going to propose while im there!

Last year me and my S/O went to mexico. Cost me $3500 and wish I would of saved my CSP UR Points. It was my main dining and entertainment card.

HOWEVER I recently closed it due to the AF about to hit and my main dining card has become my navy federal card which is 3% CB.

My scores are in the upper 700s with 3% utilization currently reporting.

I AM NOT loyal to one brand or another. When we went to MX we flew United and was happy with the service.

Mainly looking for a good hotel card/airline card for this trip that isnt official yet. Planned to get the CITI Prestige but IDK about the AF. I only consider it $200 after the airline credit and I knot it would pay for itself since the 4th hotel night is free but its just a VERY large AF. I want a card I can keep and that provides travel perks that I WILL CONTINUE to use. 

Monthly spend is only $600 a month I live with my folks. 

Main spend is movies/dinners/clothes. Gas and groceries go on my Sallie Mae.

Thoughts please?

With $600 a month spend, you won't get much bang for your buck on typical travel programs. That kind of spend just won't allow you to justify an annual fee, IMO. Stick with cash back. Most real travel cards that are not just glorified cash back require a significant spend to justify or to earn enough points to be worthwhile. This is just a general rule and there can be exceptions but overall it doesn't sound like a good fit just because you plan to take a trip.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

so are you going to avoid things with AFs? you closed the CSP due to a $95 AF and it's a good card... so what do you exactly want in that respect?
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CSP had its perks. I put about $3k of travel on it last year and loved the signup bonus. That was the main push for the card.

I also used UR points to transfer to Southwest and flew for free which was super cool.

Basically looking for a travel card that wil earns its keep AFTER the signup bonus. Looking at the SPG card cause of the great sign up bonus and low AF but IDK if i would keep it after the signup bonus...doesnt seem to bring me value at this point.

I travel every year at least one big trip a year but thats about it. ($3-$4k)

Last yr when I went to mexico I used my AMEX BCE cause it was 0% and I got $100 statement credit for booking with AMEX travel.

Message 4 of 25
jbsea
Established Contributor

OP, most travel cards are going to have a AF and with $600 mo spend, I'm not sure which card would work for you.  Maybe get the NFCU Flagship... it's got a 40,000 mile bonus right now and it's only $49 AF.  Other then that I'm not sure what else is that low. Venture same thing but with $59 AF.  Maybe the new JetBlue card but the Plus Card has a $99 AF but the regular card does not have a AF.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont have a problem with an AF. Its just the CSP didnt tickle my fancy anymore. 

Maybe im a signup chaser but I dont wanna be!!! lol

Message 6 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont have a problem with an AF. Its just the CSP didnt tickle my fancy anymore. 

The one-trip-a-year and $600 monthly spend just don't really point to a need for a travel program card. You'd be better off just using a flat cash back card or a no annual fee card with rewards on those occasional travel purchases, but it's such an occasional purchase for you it's probably not worth worrying about.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The one-trip-a-year and $600 monthly spend just don't really point to a need for a travel program card. You'd be better off just using a flat cash back card or a no annual fee card with rewards on those occasional travel purchases, but it's such an occasional purchase for you it's probably not worth worrying about.

Correct

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

And thats why I asked!
Thanks guys! In the garden I shall stay!
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

you're basically asking for a fat sign up but your spend screams QUICKSILVER! or any other general no fee cash back card. realistically you need to evaluate if you want to get a card with an AF and get the sign up and if it's worth a yearly perk to keep the fee but use other cards (or that card) continuously. maybe just get either a good cash back card with no FTF or accept you're a points chaser. either way..

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.