cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think the best travel card is for me? Opinions please.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What do you think the best travel card is for me? Opinions please.

the arrival plus is also pretty darn good compared to venture, pair it with a cash forward app, and you have the same rewards for a third of the inquiries.

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I also want to thank you all for your replies. I was about to post the same question OP. I'm so glad to know that my spending won't justify those travel rewards cards.

Some cards can have value beyond the signup bonus even without a lot of spend.

You're already paying $39/yr for a QuickSilverOne. Chase IHG's $49 annual fee is only $10 more, and comes with a bonus and an annual night. For me, it's a lot easier to "justify" an IHG card than a QS1.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to justify a travel card (or lots of travel cards) - you just need to travel, learn the ins and outs of perks and awards, and find what works for you.

Message 22 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

the arrival plus is also pretty darn good compared to venture, pair it with a cash forward app, and you have the same rewards for a third of the inquiries.

You seem really quick to encourage people to apply for multiple cards for little reason other than merged inquiries. To each their own of course, but I don't see why just because the inquiries would (potentially) be merged, OP should app for two separate cards, neither of which really address what they were looking for anyway.

Arrival+ costs $89 a year, which is steep for someone with a $600 a month spend. It's 2% only usable for travel. I don't see what makes it much better than a Venture, considering it costs $30 more for the same benefits (and isn't Barclay more picky about what's considered "travel"?). The Cashforward is a better option in that it's flexible, but again, with spending $600 a month, it will take OP awhile to reach the $50 cashout threshold. I would say the Cashforward is a better option if they were considering the Barclay's route, but neither of these cards jumps out as a great option for the OP. It's not just about what you can get for less inquiries. To me, it's more important to go for things  that will actually benefit you, regardless of less or merged inquiries.

If OP wants a Cashforward, I'd probably suggest Quicksilver instead. Yes, you get the triple pull, but if you aren't constantly applying for cards it's not that big of a deal, and no redemption threshold to worry about. Or of course go for a Double Cash. But a card with a $50 cashout threshold( and $100 threshold for Arrival+!) seems like a poor choice for the OP's budget.

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ it's refreshing when someone actually uses sense when responding to posts so thanks for that kdm.
Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Guide-to-travel-cards/m-p/2918668#M828524

Credit Card Guide to Travel...more like a dictionary.

I'm on the train of thought that $600 spend is more of a cash back card route rather than a travel card route, where you have the Annual Fees.  Using a cash back card that gives extra cash for travel related purchases even better (hey USAA people), just saw Discover have one for Rental Cars.  A thought. I average several thou a month on credit card spend.

Depends how much you travel too and where you travel to.  I say a freq traveler (3x's yr) to Vegas would benefit from Southwest.  I'm still learning, and some of my Sensai's have already posted in this thread.  They know what they speak of.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.