Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does CHASE consider a new account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does CHASE consider a new account?

I just read that CHASE limits its approval to only applicants who have 5 or less new accounts on their CR. I was thinking about applying for a card with them in the near future but I'm a little heavy right now in the new accounts department. I would like to know, how old does an account have to be for CHASE to consider it no longer a new account?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What does CHASE consider a new account?

It's no more than 5 new credit cards in the last 2 years, so 2 years would be your answer. This only applies to Chase's main cards (i.e. CSP, Freedom, Slate, possibly Ink, etc), not their co-branded cards. Although there have been some that were approved for the Slate with more than 5 new cards.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's no more than 5 new credit cards in the last 2 years, so 2 years would be your answer. This only applies to Chase's main cards (i.e. CSP, Freedom, Slate, possibly Ink, etc), not their co-branded cards. Although there have been some that were approved for the Slate with more than 5 new cards.

LOL!! That knocks me out for a long time considering that a year ago I didn't  have any credit cards.

Message 3 of 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yeah, it's definitely 2 years. You have to keep in mind that most "average consumers" are not applying for a new credit card every month like some of us do, and so 5 new accounts in 2 years is still "a lot" by most standards.

You may still be able to get a Slate but it's also a no frills, no rewards card, really only useful for BT offers. CSP and Freedom are definitely part of the 2 year restriction.

Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That knocks me out for a long time considering that a year ago I didn't  have any credit cards.

2 years isn't a long time in the credit world.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.