Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does SL mean?

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

What does SL mean?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place but it's something that's been bugging me for quite a bit now. 

People say they got approved for <insert card here> with an SL of <insert amount here>. 

I know SL is synonymous with credit limit..but what in god's name does "SL" stand for? I've been here for a while, and I still don't know this. lol. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Re: What does SL mean?

Starting limit

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 2 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anomalous wrote:

Starting limit

That makes sense. Smiley Tongue I feel dumb now. Seems like an unnecessary term though, since if you've posted something like "Hey I just got approved for <card> with a CL of <amount>" it's pretty apparent that is your starting limit. 

Darn you myfico for making me feel dumb. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anomalous wrote:

Starting limit

I was thinking it was Spending Limit but I guess Starting makes more sense.

Message 4 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anomalous wrote:

Starting limit

Everyone should have to adhere to vocabulary and abbreviations that i understand. I don't like change. My way or the highway. 

#KingOfTheCastle

#DeyTookErrJobssss

Message 5 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anomalous wrote:

Starting limit

That makes sense. Smiley Tongue I feel dumb now. Seems like an unnecessary term though, since if you've posted something like "Hey I just got approved for <card> with a CL of <amount>" it's pretty apparent that is your starting limit. 

Not quite unnecessary, because it's not just used in the approve context.   You will see people say (without a whole lot of justification or caveats!) "Get card X as it gives good SL and has SP CLIs every ....."   

Message 6 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anomalous wrote:

Starting limit

Everyone should have to adhere to vocabulary and abbreviations that i understand. I don't like change. My way or the highway. 

#KingOfTheCastle

#DeyTookErrJobssss

Can you make a sticky so we can know what is allowed?

Message 7 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anomalous wrote:

Starting limit

#KingOfTheCastle

#DeyTookErrJobssss

Can you make a sticky so we can know what is allowed?

Anything is allowed as long as it's used in a positive way and is talking nicely about me....other than that...nothing except good offers that I should apply for. 

Examples of Allowed Material: 

- "That jsucool76 guy is really cool"

- "Hey, jsucool76, there's an offer for 500,000 membership rewards points on the amex platinum with a waived AF for life"

Examples of Prohibited Material:

- "Just got approved for the ....... card"

- "Amex FR'd Me" 

- "Chase closed all my accounts" 

- "I'm 12 years old, and I have 500,000,000 in available credit and 15 centurion cards" 

On another note, I'm the next featured marriott rewards insider Smiley Very Happy Yay Me! 

Message 8 of 13
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anomalous wrote:

Starting limit

Don't feel that way. I'm assuming that's what it means based on how it's used in posts. It's not on the abbreviation list posted in the Credit Card forum sticky.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 9 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anomalous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anomalous wrote:

Starting limit

Don't feel that way. I'm assuming that's what it means based on how it's used in posts. It's not on the abbreviation list posted in the Credit Card forum sticky.

That means it's not a barry approved abbreviation. 

#DownWith"SL"

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.