Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does barclay like?

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: What does barclay like?

I've been fine, and I've done several things that Barclays doesn't like. They're number four out of six in my pecking order of cards. I opened two cards within two weeks of opening my Barclays card, and I opened a third three months later. Those three cards along with CLIs on other cards tripled my limits. It probably hasn't hurt that my score increased markedly during that time because of learning about things like utilization, less than half of my cards reporting balances, etc.

I have the LLBean card with a $5,000 limit. The only thing it really excels at is purchases from LLBean. But it gets some 1% spending from time to time, partly because I want to "feed" the card and partly because it's occasionally convenient to use it. Typical spend is probably about $200 per month, and the most I've ever spend in a month is around $750. Because of the rewards structure, this card isn't suitable to be one's main card. But it's a competent backup.

Message 21 of 25
marty56
Super Contributor

I have one that I got a few years ago to by a Mac Book (never use it these days).  It now has double the orginal CL which I got after PIF'ing and not using for over a year (never asked for a CL).  I charge a few hundered bucks on it each month or so and PIF.  Interest rates suck if you revolve a balance but with no fee it doesn't hurt me.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 22 of 25
Gmood1
Super Contributor

In my case" don't let the door hit them where the good Lord split them". lol
They didn't AA me, I AA'd them. Nothing lost here.😉
IMHO, if you have to walk on egg shells to keep a creditor, you don't need them. As long as my bills are paid on time, leave me alone.
Message 23 of 25
gabeerwin
Contributor

Buying creditors tea and sending it to them would be interesting. “But I bought you tea!! You can’t lower my limit”

All of you folks who received AA, I feel your frustration especially if there was no reason aside from a couple new accounts. Cannot imagine having 1 card and nothing as a backup but can’t imagine further one bank wanting that from a consumer.
Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had good experience with Barclays and arrival+ is hand down my favorite card of all times. But before i go into my history with Barclays here is what i know about them.

1) be ready to explain any AA on your report. "what and why" 

2) why do you need an increase, i.e. renovating house or may be another big purchase 

3) stable job history and high income

4) high spending with ability to PIF 

5) overall very low utilization on all accounts

Personally I have not had any issues with bunch of new accounts reporting since last time I recieved an increase I had 8-9 accounts with less than 6-month AAOA. But that may have changed since Nov 2016.

I got my first card with Barclays (apple) 4-5 months after bk7 discharge w/ 2k limit.  Over the next few months I used the card heavily and PIF every month. I then switched to NFL card in July 2014 and asked for limit increase to $4k. They counter offered $3500. Next i applied and got approved for Arrival with 5k limit in October 2014 and i transferred $2k from nfl card so ended up with $7k limit. As usual I used the card quite of bit, and PIF multiple times thru out the month. I finally applied for their top tier arrival+ card in Feb 2015. off course they initially denied but after calling backdoor # analyst approved app on condition that i close out the arrival account and nice my limit to arrival+. At the same time she bumped my limit up to $10k. Since then I have gotten multiple increases by calling analyst line directly.

By the way, they only denied my limit increase request once, i think it was around april 2016, based on the fact that at the time Barclays was my highest limit card and i did not get close to using the entire limit so they didnt think my spending justified an increase at the time. Well I did exactly what they asked for and got close to max limit multiple times and PIF as soon as transactions posted my account. In nov 2016, I called to ask for $10k increase but was countered with $5k. It was good enough at the time since that bumped my total limit to $20k. Im planning to ask for another increase in dec 2017 since that will be past the 1 year mark of my last increase and by then i should have enough proof of high usage and ability to PIF right of way. 

Hopefully this helps. Good luck! 

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.