Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does being Prequal'd mean?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

What does being Prequal'd mean?

Every so often I check the Chase, Citi, and Capital One Prequal sites. Nothing ever showed up until today on C1 I got a offer for the Platinum MC an QS1. I've had these cards before so I'm not really interested and one C1 card is enough, but what does it mean when you're prequal'd by a CCC and you never have been? Is your profile getting stronger? Weaker? Just curious
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What does being Prequal'd mean?

It tends to mean that your profile now more closely resembles the type of profile they typically approve. Never a guarantee.
Message 2 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It tends to mean that your profile now more closely resembles the type of profile they typically approve. Never a guarantee.

Exactly.

Don't rely on the prequals, honestly. Some cards (for example cobranded) will not even show up on there, so you won't see every card you potentially may want. Just apply for what you actually want when you feel your profile supports it. You can typically gauge the kind of score/inquiries/profile needed for certain cards just by lurking around here. You can make a decent judgement of approval this way. Of course nothing is guaranteed but neither is a prequal.

Message 3 of 7
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Most prequal sites showing results are an indicator that they look at you favorably, and your chances are more likely to be good. Exceptions would be Discover and BoA, who will prequalify a rock.
AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 4 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ksantangelo23 wrote:
Most prequal sites showing results are an indicator that they look at you favorably, and your chances are more likely to be good. Exceptions would be Discover and BoA, who will prequalify a rock.

Rocks could potentially have VERY large AAoAs!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love the "You are prequalified to apply" messages. Anyone can apply, so that supposed to mean something? haha
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that, as a general rule, if you are receiving prequals where you weren't before, that is an indiction that your credit report is stronger than it used to be. It is not, however, a guarantee that you will be approved. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.