Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "Signature" Visa mean?

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

What does "Signature" Visa mean?

Alright you CC gurus.  You know I venture in here often, and post very little.  I'm more of the RBYC type of guy.  Smiley Happy  I got my Chase Freedom last Friday, just today I noticed in the bottom right it sats "Signature".

I've seen posts on here about signature visa, but what is the deal with it?  Any difference?  Postive?  Negative?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
ycm
Established Member

Re: What does "Signature" Visa mean?

More often than not the credit limit is not reported and it shows as flexible spending. Concierge services are also included. I just got a visa sig myself so still learning.
Amex Delta Gold | Amex BCE | BofA Travel Visa Sig | Discover IT | Fidelity Visa | REI Visa Sig
Message 2 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

It's more small than big, but....

Positives: These cards are generally No Preset Spending Limit, you can, to some extent, spend past your official CL, so long as you pay the excess by the due date.

Conceirge Service: Some like it, some don't

See the Visa Signature pages for the full list of standard benefits, but many "lower" level cards include these anyway.

https://usa.visa.com/visasignature/index.jsp?gclid=CPLI0q6f6rgCFYyd4Aod5ksAig

The only major disadvantage for some:  A few cards, most noteably Bank of America, do not report a CL on their signature cards.  This is undesireable for some situations, and people have downgraded their cards.

Message 3 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ycm wrote:
More often than not the credit limit is not reported and it shows as flexible spending. Concierge services are also included. I just got a visa sig myself so still learning.

While this used to be the case, I think many more issuers do now report the credit limit, it's the exceptions that don't.

Message 4 of 18
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

It gives you added benefits like Concierge service. I also think that Signature means that you do not have a preset credit limit. They'll set it at a certain amount, but you can go over it without penalty I think.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 5 of 18
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Message 6 of 18
ArCpa
Contributor

Basically extra perks , such as concierge service, reservation, motel upgrades. If you go to concerts or sporting events you can get prime tickets on call before the general public. Sorta like AMEX Platium , without the the 450.00 annual fee.

CC: Amex Green ( NPSL) Amex BCE ( 38.1 K ) US Bank Sig Cash ( 20K ) Pen Fed (42K) Chase Freedom ( 7.5K) Discover More (22K ) Cap 1 QSilver (10K) Barclays Rewards (9K) Care Credit (5.5k) Sears (12K) JC Pennys (6K) Dell (15K) Key Bank (19k ) Key Bank (16K) FFO (7.5 K) Shell ( 600) OCCU ( 20K ) City TY (10.5K) CSP (17.5k) Regions ( 18K )Simmons (15K) Regions BLOC (125K) Fuel Rewards MC(10K )Amex Hilton ( 23k)

TU ( MFICO 5/11/14) 812
EQ ( MFICO 5/11/14) 790
EX ( MFICO 5/11/14) 805

Message 7 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@eddie84 wrote:

Visa Siggy Benefits. Smiley Happy

On that page, I love:

Explore the list of Visa Signature benefits that may be available on your Visa Signature card. Please check with your issuer to see which of the following benefits applies to your card.

Message 8 of 18
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Don't forget BOGO movie tickets on Fridays courtesy of Fandango!

Message 9 of 18
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

Is there much of a difference between the Visa Sig and the World MC?

Walmart Store Card: $600 & Amazon Store Card: $1200
Amazon.com Visa: $500 & Chase Freedom: $3000
US Bank REI Visa Signature: $5500
Discover It: $100

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.