cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the FICO community think? (Yes, another AMEX Zync Question :-P )

tag
mross1080
Established Contributor

Re: What does the FICO community think? (Yes, another AMEX Zync Question :-P )

I say you have a great shot of being approved.

Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome guys, I think I will likely wait till January,

What are your guys thoughts on the Green Card instead?

I appreciate all your guys help in the matter, Love this site. Smiley Very Happy

MV

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

All things being equal I'd go for the Zync.  They are giving 10,000 rewards points for your first purchase.  Also they are pushing Zync pretty aggressively.  I always recommend trying for the easiest card just to get your foot in the door with them. 

Here's my plan.  Got Zync three weeks ago.  Want to keep it for at least 6 months and then PC to Premier Rewards Gold.  Skipping the Green and standard Gold.  Your plans could be different but that's my two cents. 

Have you tried the preapproval yet?

Message 13 of 33
mross1080
Established Contributor

I have the zync and the green. And honestly the zync IMO is much better for a younger person or someone that goes out to eat alot. The annual fee is better and the packs you can add are great if you travel or eat out or shop alot. I use my zync strictly for entertainment and shopping ( The wife does a lot of that). So the double points are great. The green I only use for bills nothing else. The only reason I have the two is because im crazy about everything being organized and I know what goes through what and I can put enough money through the green yearly to cover the annual fee. For one card I would def. go with the zync.

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Awesome guys, I think I will likely wait till January,

What are your guys thoughts on the Green Card instead?

I appreciate all your guys help in the matter, Love this site. Smiley Very Happy

MV

Good!  It is only few months a way.    Meanwhile, bring the balance down (lower as possible) on your AU card is a plus!  

Message 15 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh nice!

Ya I love the Gold card, and have no problem "downgrading" to a Zync if its going to be MY account....

I have tried pre-approval. That did not yeild results... Probably, cause of the age of my history...

In fact, Like everyone has said here the Zync seems to be better fitted to me (almost better than gold, in terms of custom options), and I would most likely get the dining and travel packs.

Do you guys happen to know if I they look at the AU users balance, or the balance of the full acount (i.e. If I owe $0 on my card, will they see that as "my card", or the balance of the full acount)?

I am deadset on keeping my credit as pristine as possible. Once I get my Zync I think I will start the perverbal "gardening", although I would like to get rid of the god forsaken BBRZMC with the $100 limit.... Smiley Mad lol

Once again, thanks guys/gals This is a great help

MV

Message 16 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you guys happen to know if I they look at the AU users balance, or the balance of the full acount (i.e. If I owe $0 on my card, will they see that as "my card", or the balance of the full acount)?

MV 

There are so many of Amex AU thread on this forum.    You may want to search and read it.

Message 17 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

OOOps, sorry will do

Message 18 of 33
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Whenever Amex comes up, there is always an air of exclusivity floating about that people strive to obtain in such a card. I know when I got my Amex, I wanted it because people had been saying that they are somehow "better:" better customer service, better this and that, more rarified etc.

If you really want a Zync, then why not. You seem to be responsible.

I like my Amex Blue Cash. It's a good card. However, I don't believe in Amex's rarefied character anymore. They've always treated me courteously (as have many other CCC) but I've read some bad stories on here that make me wonder whether Amex is any better than the rest of the pack.Just look at the story from a few years ago when they were profiling customers. Nowadays, they seem to be desperate because they do not only approve wealthy customers but many with average or slightly below average scores. They are not as picky or choosy as they want to be perceived. Most of Amex's customer base is made up of people like you and me. People who can't go out and willy-nilly rack up big purchases without financial consequences.

Much of the Amex discussion circles around the question whether one should start with the Zync or get the green or even the gold or perhaps even the platinum, insinuating that every color higher up in the hierachy will "mean" more. People want to be perceived when they produce their Amex color at the register. They want to be recognized. Honestly, I don't like that idea.

If you have decent credit and are on your way to build really good credit, I don't think there is a need for a card with an annual fee, even if it's a small one. Unless you want to close that account, you will have to pay that fee for many, many years to come. Unless you can really use the extra features that such a card offers, why get the Zync? I had the Delta Gold, and I could not use the extra feature (reduced companion ticket) and thus I switched to a no-annual fee card.

Also, it's great that you pay off your balance every month. However, I've never understood the benefits of a charge card as opposed to a credit card. Are there any? The rewards are comparable but you do not have any flexibility with the charge card. Zero! A credit card seems to be a much better product. But that is just my view.

I'd strongly consider waiting a few months and build more good history. Then, look around and see what great rewards credit cards are out there. I'd pick the card that is best for your purposes and not the one that looks best. If that turns out to be the Zync, then go ahead. If not, then chose a better one.

Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those are really good thinking points,

Are there any other cards that have rewards that are like AMEX?

Are there other companies that have charge cards?

I really have had a good experience with AMEX thus far

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.