Valued Member
tacaza

What factors used to determine credit limit?

I was approved for the Amex SPG on 9/4 and received the card yesterday. What surprised me was that Amex gave me the best interest rate @ 15.24%, yet started me out at 2k limit again. So my question is what factors in a credit report that lenders use to determine credit limit? Aren't they averaging the limit on all your cards and give you one that is close to if not above your average? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Valued Contributor
bribro

Re: What factors used to determine credit limit?

Your credit score/history, existing credit lines, and income are the big ones.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Frequent Contributor
AF_23

You already have an existing account with a large credit line with AmEx.. that has everything to do with it in this case.

Contributor
firesoul453

I don't think income has too much to do with it, atleast with chase and citi. My credit limit with chase is 20% of my income (and I only make 12500 a year) and citi gave more more than %40 of my income!

capital one on  the other hand, %6 of my income is the limit, and even with their yearly review, I don't qualify for a CLI

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Valued Contributor
jamesdwi

[ Edited ]

firesoul453 wrote:

I don't think income has too much to do with it, atleast with chase and citi. My credit limit with chase is 20% of my income (and I only make 12500 a year) and citi gave more more than %40 of my income!

capital one on  the other hand, %6 of my income is the limit, and even with their yearly review, I don't qualify for a CLI

Yes income has a lot to do with your CL, sure it doesn't do much when  your just rebuilding or starting out with credit no one is going to give you more than a 2k CL no matter what your income is.   But once you have established a good payment history and a decent FICO score, your imcome will stand in the way of getting high CL cards.  Who is going to give you a 25k CL when th even the minimum payment is more than your net take home pay for the month.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak 4.6k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 6k & Zync NPSL, Sally Mae5k Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 3.9k, Walmart 4.5k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 6.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP 12/15/2014
Valued Member
tacaza

Thanks for replying guys! While my income is very close to my DW's, she was approved for the same card yesterday with 12k limit. Perhaps Amex didn't like my tiny aaoa. :smileyhappy: 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}