cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I have a near $0 balance on a credit card and I get a credit back?

tag
Beane
Regular Contributor

What happens if I have a near $0 balance on a credit card and I get a credit back?

I'm in the process of BT my BoA account to my new Barclays.  I just realized I may want to cancel a reservation for a hotel I made awhile back with the BoA card.  What happens if my balance on my BoA is near $0 and I get that credited back to the card?

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Re: What happens if I have a near $0 balance on a credit card and I get a credit back?

Most banks will give you a negative balance (I.e additional credit) when this happens. All who do have a limit as to how much this can be, usually a small percentage of your overall credit limit.
----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 2 of 10
ginger1477
Regular Contributor

Re: What happens if I have a near $0 balance on a credit card and I get a credit back?

You can just use up the extra credit by making purchases, or, I'm thinking Bank of America can send you a check.  I had another bank send me a check when I had a refund after I had already paid my bill.  It took almost a month though.

Capital One Quicksilver: 14k * Alliant: 4k * BoA: 6k * Discover 5k * Best Buy Visa: 10k * Amex BCE: 7k, Amex Everyday: 1k * Target RedCard: 9k * Walmart: 10k * Citi 2k * Care Credit: 10k
Message 3 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

BOFA will credit you a negative balance: I've done this accidentally pushing a duplicate payment on my BOFA card.

I'd just spend it personally, if you use the card semi-regularly it won't last that long; asking a bank to send a check is something no bank likes, they'd much rather you spend your way out of the negative balance naturally I suspect.

        
Message 4 of 10
Beane
Regular Contributor

My wife and I have a BoA checking and savings account.  Do you think they would let me transfer the credit to my checking account?

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 5 of 10
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

@Beane wrote:

My wife and I have a BoA checking and savings account.  Do you think they would let me transfer the credit to my checking account?

I'm pretty sure they would count that as a cash advance.

My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 6 of 10
Beane
Regular Contributor

How could they charge interest if I had no balance?

Message 7 of 10
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@ginger1477 wrote:

You can just use up the extra credit by making purchases, or, I'm thinking Bank of America can send you a check.  I had another bank send me a check when I had a refund after I had already paid my bill.  It took almost a month though.

Walmart actually sent me a check for 37 cents! I bet the check cost more than that. Silly, really.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 8 of 10
Beane
Regular Contributor

I'm sure I can find an expense to use it for, but I'd rather have the money so I could just pay into the card I just BT'd to to get that balance down.  I wish I'd known I was going to cancel this reservation as I would have requested a BT that was that much less.

Message 9 of 10
JasonKR
Regular Contributor

you can

1) Spend it up

2) Request Check

3) Request them to wire transfer it

BoA Better Balance Reward - $1.5k (01/13) | Discover It for Student - $1.7k (04/13) | Capital One QuickSilver - $2k (05/13) | Amazon Rewards Visa Card - $700 (10/13) | Citi Forward for Student - $2.4k (10/13) | Amex BCE - $6k (10/13) | Chase Freedom - $1.5k (11/13) | Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6.5k (12/13) | Amex Delta Gold - $8.7k(12/13) | Chase IHG - $4k (2/14) | Chase Hyatt - $5k (2/14) | Amex Platinum (2/14) | Citi ThankYou Preferred - $3.5k (4/14) | Chase United Explorer - $5k (9/14) | Amex Delta Gold business - $3k (9/14) | I ALWAYS pay in full
(Future card: Barclaycard Arrival+, Amex SPG+Everyday, Chase Ink+Marriott, Citi Hilton Reserve+HHonors)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.