cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if creditor closes account ( its paid in full)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1 shut down both of my accounts

@orestrus wrote:

These is exactly right. I am a legit person and can prove my identiy without any problem whatsoever. 

I believe you are a person. Mainly because I don't know of any animals that have been trained to post on forums and I don't believe that alien species have access to our internet yet.

@orestrus wrote:

If I was a "bad" person, I don't think I would of been posting on these forum. 

All kidding aside, I don't think credit issues or problems ever make someone a "bad" person.

Message 31 of 49
happypill
Valued Contributor

Well, I'm not really questioing you as a person.  Posting on these forums is anonymous behind a made-up handle, so posting here isn't really a good indicator of legitimacy.

But again, that's not why I pose the question.  I'd like to understand the facts to learn from the situation.  It doesn't really provide any useful information if someone just says "Cap1 closed my accounts for no reason".  If it were truly random and without reason, then any Cap1 cardholder could be vulnerable to randomness at any time.  If they really act for no reason, then that is useful information for any card holder - I have 3 Cap1 cards.

From your story though, they didn't really act for no reason.  You hinted that they asked for ID verification, then something happened, then they closed your accounts.  The italicized portion is what I and others are tying to understand.  You were unable to provide ID verification to their satisfaction, or your provided it and they doubted the veracity of what you provided?  If you don't want to share anonymously that's definitely fine, but for this to be a useful data point, some details on the ID verification is the key missing element.

Message 32 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

They closed the accounts because the OP isn't a us citizen. 

Message 33 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

i don't like crapital one. they started charging fees without notice on a savings account with $23,000. i didn't notice until 6 months after they started charging them. it was like $100 in fees in total and the CS rep was telling me that it's no big deal and that everyone does it. NO! BS! no one puts fees on a savings account with that much money on it. not even HSBC! and they are stingy with credit lines, which sucks because if they are your only lender, your utilization looks reallly high when it is not. 

needless to say i closed the account and moved it to an online only GE savings account. some of the fees were refunded. and i tihnk you are better off without them. 

Message 34 of 49
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i don't like crapital one. they started charging fees without notice on a savings account with $23,000. i didn't notice until 6 months after they started charging them. it was like $100 in fees in total and the CS rep was telling me that it's no big deal and that everyone does it. NO! BS! no one puts fees on a savings account with that much money on it. not even HSBC! and they are stingy with credit lines, which sucks because if they are your only lender, your utilization looks reallly high when it is not. 

needless to say i closed the account and moved it to an online only GE savings account. some of the fees were refunded. and i tihnk you are better off without them. 

The only universal savings account fee that I can think of is the one due to excessive withdrawals.  If you make more than 6 withdrawals (or maybe 6 and more) from a savings account of some type, they are subject to fees.  If this was your case, then yes, everyone does that; 'tis federal regulation.

Message 35 of 49
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

^ This.

OP has another thread about Chase, it got bogged down in the nuances of ITIN numbers. OP needs to find the lenders who allow the status, that's all.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 36 of 49
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think that's a requirement with Capital One.

Message 37 of 49
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@orestrus wrote:
They started asking for my id, which i have promptly provided. The fax copy i sent was "too dark", and the next day they shut down both accounts. I sent a scanned copy-but at that point the accounts were inactive, and as per EO-"nothing we can do", "u re welcome to apply for new account" these is shoking and im speechless. I told them i can come to their branch-still same response. These is really a crap company!!!

That is Capital One for you.

Message 38 of 49
happypill
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

OP has another thread about Chase, it got bogged down in the nuances of ITIN numbers. OP needs to find the lenders who allow the status, that's all.

That makes more sense.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Message 39 of 49
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@happypill wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

That makes more sense.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Possible; this article on Bankrate says that Cap One and Chase don't work with ITINs. Dunno how much of that is correct but I guess it's best to verify in person.

Citizenship isn't required, but an SSN might be.

Message 40 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.