Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens next...

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What happens next...

Some good perspectives have already been shared. The only thing that I'd add is that there are different stages that one might go through in gardening, especially if one is rebuilding. In order to obtain the most desireable cards -- and what those are will vary from person to person -- you need to demonstrate responsible use of credit. So, someone might start out with builder/rebuilder cards and then garden them for a period of time. After a positive history has been established with those cards, that person might leave the garden in hopes of obtaining better cards. If successful, s/he might choose to close out the builder/rebuilder cards, as they have served their purpose and are no worth keeping -- especially if there are AFs involved. Unless the individual is interested in churning, s/he might choose to keep the newly acquired cards for an extended period of time.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 11 of 15
Shellie
Valued Contributor

I guess part of my confusion came from the idea that closing a card hurts your scores.

Message 12 of 15
vladrad
Contributor

My goal is to open 22 cards/credits so I can have maximum score on CK. Smiley Happy

I got 7 credits now and 3 for my wife (I manage all of them) + house bills it's a lot of work already!!

Citi "Diamond Preferred" (1k), Bank of America (12k), Capital One - secured (0.7k), AMEX Green - (5k), Chase Freedom (4.5k), Chase Slate (3.2k), Discover (3,75k), Chase Explorer (19k), Oldnavy (2.2k), Chase Amazon (3k), Orbitz Rewards (8k), Citi Double Cash (10,4k),
Message 13 of 15
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Wow 22 cards!  I can't imagine.   I'm assuming that's a mix of store and cc's?  I don't even have room in my wallet for 22 cards!  Haha.  I wish you the best!

Message 14 of 15
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Shellie wrote:

I can't imaging having 15 cards!  That sounds like a lot of work to manage.  Do you feel like it helps more than say, 5 cards would? 

@Shellie wrote:

I guess part of my confusion came from the idea that closing a card hurts your scores.

@tinuviel wrote:

Unless the individual is interested in churning, s/he might choose to keep the newly acquired cards for an extended period of time.

I have no closed cards, yet have only four cards aside from being on a joint card.

Does that even qualify for a decent-sized app spree? Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.