Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to Amex Membership fees when you are FR'd

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

What happens to Amex Membership fees when you are FR'd

I am not sure and have not decided to send permission for the returns. I have not asked them to cancel the cards either and I'll not voluntarily tell them to close my accounts. I have paid all my cards in full today. If there are small pending charges that might post to my account if so I'll pay it off in full  that settles my balance with Amex on al my cards. Now what happens to my unused membership + points + Plum Cash back? They are worth at least $600-700 now. If they decide to close my accounts on their own, will they return the prorated unused membership dues and other rewards they owe me?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What happens to Amex Membership fees when you are FR'd

As far as I know, you won't get anything. Rewards are definitely void.

Message 2 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as I know, you won't get anything. Rewards are definitely void.

That is real rip off. They should return the prorated unused Membership fees. I should get at least $600-700 just from platinum card fees I paid just last month.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

i think rewards only for open account and in good standing, i know thats not fair since you dont owe nothing

Message 4 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

AFAIK your options are now to release the docs to them or have accounts closed by grantor and forfeit all benes/rewards.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@score_building wrote:

AFAIK your options are now to release the docs to them or have accounts closed by grantor and forfeit all benes/rewards.

That is not very promising. I understand about the benifits. What about my membership fees? Keep in mind even if I choose to release the docs and every thing is accurate there is no assurance they will not close my accounts and take away all the benefits. They can always use some reason to close the accounts if they decide to do so.

Message 6 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

@score_building wrote:

That is not very promising. I understand about the benifits. What about my membership fees? Keep in mind even if I choose to release the docs and every thing is accurate there is no assurance they will not close my accounts and take away all the benefits. They can always use some reason to close the accounts if they decide to do so.

Presumably anticipated and planned for this result, since we know app sprees can often lead here, 

it can't hurt to request a fee refund, though not sure if they'll find such a request compelling. 

If everything checks out, there is a significantly increased chance that accounts will remain unmolested.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Ok I ll send financials.
Message 8 of 12
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I always follow your trials and trevails with AMEX with interest, but frankly I just don't understand why you keep putting yourself in these positions.  If you don't like AMEX's policies and how they use their business model why do you keep working with them?  You don't NEED an AMEX card, there are other options.  Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 12
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

They closed my account 2 years ago.   I was able to cash in my rewards, but I had to do it very quickly or they would have expired.   They refunded prorated annual fees but I had to call and request it.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.