cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to Chase Freedom Rewards if they close account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens to Chase Freedom Rewards if they close account?

I have been reading about all the WAMU to Chase cards being closed.  PC'd my WAMU to Freedom Plus.

I am curious what they do to your accumulated rewards upon closure?  Do they vanish?  Do they apply to balance?

My account is still untouched, but I am just about to the $200 (to get the $50 bonus) and would be really annoyed to find out that if they closed the account they zapped the rewards without consideration.

Anyone got the scoop on this?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Re: What happens to Chase Freedom Rewards if they close account?

Forfeited.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that would get me a little heated, if they closed and forfeited my rewards for anything short of default.  Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 12
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Cash it out now.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 4 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

@wmarat wrote:
Cash it out now.

rewards have to be cashed out as frequently as possible these days.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm at $173.  They only let you take $100 or $250 ($200 plus $50 bonus).

Chase is sending me tons of the "We'll give you $125 to open a checking."  I wonder if opening a checking and linking it to CC gives me any better treatment down the road.

So far nothing adverse or news, but from what I'm hearing they don't forewarn. 

Message 6 of 12
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Open up as many accounts as you want, I doubt you will be better treated. Different divisions of a demented company.

The rewards will be gone. (POOF!) That will probably be a profit consideration in an upcoming round of account closures. Now you know why I like PenFed's reward system.

Message 7 of 12
mrpeabody
Established Member

They took all my points that had carried over from wamu. 44000 points Gone. I hate chase. I have 3 other Chase cards, but I won't do business with a company like that. I have $250,000 worth of credit cards so cutting them from my card list will not kill me. The kicker is I also have almost $1,000,000 in accounts with Chase bank. I am moving all my company accounts over to Citi.  
Message 8 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

mrpeabody wrote:
They took all my points that had carried over from wamu. 44000 points Gone. I hate chase. I have 3 other Chase cards, but I won't do business with a company like that. I have $250,000 worth of credit cards so cutting them from my card list will not kill me. The kicker is I also have almost $1,000,000 in accounts with Chase bank. I am moving all my company accounts over to Citi.  

Ha!  and you're a whale to boot, wow. that's nasty-what they did

but out of the frying pan into the soup pot?  have you considered local, regional or CU options...

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 9 of 12
mrpeabody
Established Member

I do use a local credit union for some things, but with my business accounts, I need some services that often are not available at my local credit union. I am in the wine business and we do a lot of international business. I know Citi can be as dubious as any other bank.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.