cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to USA Fed checks/debit card?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

What happens to USA Fed checks/debit card?

I am curious NFCU is going to take over the USA on 10/4. But what happens to the checks and debit card USA is issuing now. I just joined last week and most like I'll have the checks and debit card in had by next week or at least before NFCU takes over. Does NFCU sends a new set of checks and debit card with their name on it? Will they keep the old numbers or will the reissue checks and card with their own new numbers?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
JMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: What happens to USA Fed checks/debit card?

They may. 

Depends on if they keep the routing numbers and debit card numbers the same. 

At the bank I work for, all new account numbers, debit cards, and checks were sent out to banks that were acquired less than a year ago, however, that's not always the case. For example, I still see lots of Wachovia checks and debit cards in circulation, even though they were bought out by Wells almost two years ago.

I'm sure they will eventually replace them, but I doubt it'll be a priority. 

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 2 of 10
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

I don't know how long post merger the info below will be true, but this is what the site says:

https://www.navyfederal.org/merger/

For current USA Fed members, we can reassure you of the following for your USA Fed accounts:

• Direct deposit and recurring payments will continue
  • Your credit cards and debit cards will still work as they do today.
  • You can continue to use your checking and savings accounts
  • Continue to make loan payments as usual

https://www.navyfederal.org/merger/faq.php

• How long is this going to take and what does this mean for me?
    The entire merger process will take a number of months to complete. Until then, business will continue as usual. During the transition, we will provide information and updates regarding your accounts and what to expect.

Speaking of old account documents still circulating, my First Union (pre-Wachovia/First Union merger) checks are still supposed to be valid -- not that I would, nor would I suggest anyone else, use them myself.

Message 3 of 10
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

The USA Fed CU card is much more fun looking, I believe it has Spike, their spokes dog on it.

04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

concord, it shouldn't be a problem.    I am still using my Wa-Mu check to pay my rent.   Chase rep said as long as my acct number is the same, I can use it until I use them all.   So, you should be able to use it.  

Message 5 of 10
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

I received my USA Fed debit card in the mail yesterday.

04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 6 of 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Boonie wrote:

Were you able to activate your debit card? When I tried to activate my card, it said card not found. I am going to call them tomorrow.

Message 7 of 10
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

I was able to activate my debit card.

Message 8 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Red1Blue wrote:

@Boonie wrote:

Were you able to activate your debit card? When I tried to activate my card, it said card not found. I am going to call them tomorrow.

I got mine early last week. I have yet to activate it...hopefully any problems are fixed.

Message 9 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

Only his footprints are on the card Smiley Happy

@Boonie wrote:

The USA Fed CU card is much more fun looking, I believe it has Spike, their spokes dog on it.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.