cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to our Amex TE cards if Costco and Amex divorce?

tag
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: What's to our Amex TE cards if Costco and Amex divorce?

COSTCO could also choose to stay with AMEX, you never know. They are taking bids from everybody right now, if AMEX offers them something they can't refuse, Im sure they will stay with them.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 41 of 52
jwduke
Regular Contributor

Re: What happens to our Amex TE cards if Costco and Amex divorce?

So does my Costco Amex card CL go from 15k to 1.5k with Crapital 1? And the interest rate go from 9.99% to 19.99% too?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: FICO- 798 (02/21/18)
Goal Score: 800+ All Three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 42 of 52
enharu
Super Contributor

@jwduke wrote:

So does my Costco Amex card CL go from 15k to 1.5k with Crapital 1? And the interest rate go from 9.99% to 19.99% too?

Amex may or may not sell the portfolio to Cap1 (if Cap1 wins the bid).

It depends on the original contract Amex inked with Costco. If the terms stipulate Amex must transfer the customers to the new company, then Amex has to and there's nothing they can do to retain existing TE cardholders. Or whomever that wins the bid may also offer Amex a nice amount of money to buy over the cardholders. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 43 of 52
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Canceling mine soon so I'm not concerned either way.

NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 44 of 52
insidious28
New Contributor

So what would happen to business TE card holders?

Starting Score: EQ 686, TU 722, EX 702
Current Score: EQ 838 (01/08/14 MyFico), TU 836 (01/14/14 Wally), EX 832 (01/14/14 FNBO)
Goal Score: 800+ Across The Board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 45 of 52
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

The TE card has a pretty lackluster reward program so it shouldn't be a huge loss to cardholders

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 46 of 52
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@weehoo wrote:

The TE card has a pretty lackluster reward program so it shouldn't be a huge loss to cardholders

I actually think they have a pretty decent rewards program.  3% back on gas purchases (4% if you have a business membership), 2% on restaurants and all travel expenses, 1% everything else.  The only drawback is that you only get your cashback in the form of a Costco check once a year that can be cashed out at any Costco.  For a no AF Amex (if you don't count the annual Costco membership), it's a pretty decent card to have and use.

Message 47 of 52
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I can't believe I am going to do this, but I will partially defend CrapOne. 

If you get approved for an upper tier card with them, they do treat you better.  I had two subprime cards with them.  I closed one after the two year mark when I asked that they remove the annual fee, they refused to even waive it for the year, so I closed the card.  Going forward I contacted the EO (twice) and got a CLI on my other account with them, which now has even gotten a CLI with the luv button!  Then HSBC also sold my card with them to CrapOne and I got an increase with them through the EO.  I still hated having to go through the EO, and the CLI button wasn't working well at that point.  So I opened a Prime level card with them.  I got the Signature version of the QS with a $5000 limit.  And let me tell you the customer service with that card did change!  (However, it does seem to be getting a bit less in niceness recently.)

So if they did get the contract they would probably have two tier levels.  This would mean that it could potentially open up sales for Costco.  In fact it might actually be a good thing for Costco to consider in the bid!  However, I also think that there is probably a better chance that Costco customers have better credit, since Amex was being accepted.  No matter what, opening up the doors to a different processing network would be a thing for Costco.  If they were to accept Discover, Visa, or MC it would probably also increase their sales a bit.  Visa and MC might have the better benefits to them since most people have at least one of either of these cards. 

I would be covered no matter what.  I have all four, as many other do also!  (I even have a cobranded Ames through FNBO, including two Amex Amex's.) 

Now my question would be; Can I change one of my Amex cards to being the cobranded Costco card?  In this way, if and when they do split with it be easier to PC it later to a card I want.  (I had the Delta card and found out it really wasn't worth it to me to have the card after I got the signup bonus.  They will now only PC it to another cobranded card, however Costco was never mentioned.  So if I can convince them to switch it to a Costco card and they then cancel the contract and Amex retains the card, I could possibly then get a card that I do want!  Say a BCE!  Hopefully, I can remember to do this after the holidays.)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 48 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TiggerDat wrote:

I can't believe I am going to do this, but I will partially defend CrapOne. 

If you get approved for an upper tier card with them, they do treat you better.  I had two subprime cards with them.  I closed one after the two year mark when I asked that they remove the annual fee, they refused to even waive it for the year, so I closed the card.  Going forward I contacted the EO (twice) and got a CLI on my other account with them, which now has even gotten a CLI with the luv button!  Then HSBC also sold my card with them to CrapOne and I got an increase with them through the EO.  I still hated having to go through the EO, and the CLI button wasn't working well at that point.  So I opened a Prime level card with them.  I got the Signature version of the QS with a $5000 limit.  And let me tell you the customer service with that card did change!  (However, it does seem to be getting a bit less in niceness recently.)

So if they did get the contract they would probably have two tier levels.  This would mean that it could potentially open up sales for Costco.  In fact it might actually be a good thing for Costco to consider in the bid!  However, I also think that there is probably a better chance that Costco customers have better credit, since Amex was being accepted.  No matter what, opening up the doors to a different processing network would be a thing for Costco.  If they were to accept Discover, Visa, or MC it would probably also increase their sales a bit.  Visa and MC might have the better benefits to them since most people have at least one of either of these cards. 

I would be covered no matter what.  I have all four, as many other do also!  (I even have a cobranded Ames through FNBO, including two Amex Amex's.) 

Now my question would be; Can I change one of my Amex cards to being the cobranded Costco card?  In this way, if and when they do split with it be easier to PC it later to a card I want.  (I had the Delta card and found out it really wasn't worth it to me to have the card after I got the signup bonus.  They will now only PC it to another cobranded card, however Costco was never mentioned.  So if I can convince them to switch it to a Costco card and they then cancel the contract and Amex retains the card, I could possibly then get a card that I do want!  Say a BCE!  Hopefully, I can remember to do this after the holidays.)

CapitalOne and Costco simply don't mix.

Message 49 of 52
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@weehoo wrote:

I actually think they have a pretty decent rewards program.  3% back on gas purchases (4% if you have a business membership), 2% on restaurants and all travel expenses, 1% everything else.  The only drawback is that you only get your cashback in the form of a Costco check once a year that can be cashed out at any Costco.  For a no AF Amex (if you don't count the annual Costco membership), it's a pretty decent card to have and use.

Its hardly anything to write home about but to each their own. 

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.