cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when my CC is near the expiration date?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens when my CC is near the expiration date?

Does the CCC typically mail a new card automatically? Is there ever an auto CLI (or upgrade or other perks)with the new card? Or do I need to request a new card?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

Re: What happens when my CC is near the expiration date?

@Anonymous wrote:
Does the CCC typically mail a new card automatically? Is there ever an auto CLI (or upgrade or other perks)with the new card? Or do I need to request a new card?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'm wondering this as well. My VISA (first account - almost 5 yrs old) is about to expire. My credit has significantly improved since then. Will the replacement be any different?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been my experience that they simply send you a new card with new expire dates automatically.

Nothing else changes. All remains the same...cl's, rates, etc. The only thing that changes is the actual expiration date printed on the card.
Message 3 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

They usually just mail you a new one.  Same as the old.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

With most CCCs, I usually automatically receive a new replacement CC about a month prior to the card's expiration date.  I've never received an upgrade or CLI along with the replacement card.  Sometimes, the physical appearance of the card changes, but that's about it.  If you don't receive a replacement, and you're very close to your present card's expiration date, then call your CCC's customer service department and tell them you need a new card. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with all the previous posters on this thread.  Especially Sylvia.

BTW, besides a new expiration date, the other thing that will be different on your new card is the CVV number.

Message 6 of 10
Dawn
Established Contributor

After you get that new card ... don't forget to change the expiration date with any companies you allow to automatically charge your card for anything.  Declined auto-bill charges are no fun! Smiley Surprised
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ouch! Good suggestion Dawn!
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You also might want to look at Dawn's (1/31/08) thread regarding "Unauthorized charges for credit monitoring services." 

This covers a few things to keep in mind while your activating your new card.
Message 9 of 10
Dawn
Established Contributor

I forgot all about that!  Smiley Happy 

At least Chase didn't do that to me when I activated their cards. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.