Regular Contributor
thatdoodjohn

What happens when you go over your CL?

I maxed out my 5k Discover and right now I am at $-9.00

I definitely screwed up big time. Will Discover close my account for good or punish me because I maxed it out? :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
ocheosa

Re: What happens when you go over your CL?

[ Edited ]

thatdoodjohn wrote:

I maxed out my 5k Discover and right now I am at $-9.00

I definitely screwed up big time. Will Discover close my account for good or punish me because I maxed it out? :smileysad:

Can you make an immediate payment? It's usually pretty slow to update online. I would call customer service, have them expedite a payment to account and apologize. I made an error, used the wrong card...whatever.  Make sure to pay enough to cushion OTL fee (if customer service cannot waive it).

Geez...now is not the time....especially having a large balance subject to a rate jack. Nor a good time for maxing out accounts. Any balance above 60% CL imho is not positive. Be careful and good luck!

Message Edited by ocheosa on 06-12-2009 11:47 PM
01/04/10 TU 778 EQ 731
08/05/09 TU 762 EQ 722
02/12/09 TU 722 EQ 704 EX 690
EQ sensitive to inqs & student loan.
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: What happens when you go over your CL?

Score-wise, you'll take a significant hit, maybe about 20 points or so on top of whatever damage you had from utilization. However, once the lower balance reports, you will fully recover.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}