cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when you leave cards completely inactive?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens when you leave cards completely inactive?

Hey guys, so I have 3 cards. (CSP, AMEX Gold, Amex BCE) and I've left my Amex cards completely inactive (no balance) for one month. Will this hurt my score or my relationship with Amex in anyway?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What happens when you leave cards completely inactive?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, so I have 3 cards. (CSP, AMEX Gold, Amex BCE) and I've left my Amex cards completely inactive (no balance) for one month. Will this hurt my score or my relationship with Amex in anyway?

A month won't change anything as that's not unusual.  If you leave a card inactive (no use whatsoever) for 6+ months, then  you run the risk of account closure or a CLD.  Some cards you can leave inactive for much longer but I wouldn't risk it if you want to keep the card.

Message 2 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

+1 and I can't remember who but someone has it in their T/C after 6 months of inactivity account could risk closing.....

A month or two tho.....don't sweat the small stuff

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Normally a month or three won't hurt anything. Most of my cards are in the SD and are rotated quarterly. The only CLD I've had is a Shell card that was reduced from 800 to 300, but I don't care about trivial things like that.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just found a card that I first obtained in 2007. Last activity was 2012 and the card was a replacement (due to expiration date) sent to me 1-2 years ago. It still had not been activated. I went online and activated the new card and the tradeline is still active. I was shocked. I have several cards with no activity for a few years and have not seen any closure. but these are with the big banks and not store cards.

Message 5 of 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A month won't change anything as that's not unusual.  If you leave a card inactive (no use whatsoever) for 6+ months, then  you run the risk of account closure or a CLD.  Some cards you can leave inactive for much longer but I wouldn't risk it if you want to keep the card.

Good thing. as i have a Home Depot that is 10 months old and i have never used it. I guess it is time to buy some batteries or something like that.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses guys! What happens if I charge a few bucks on the cards, but adjust the balance to $0 before the end of the statement period. That way they are actively used, but still report as 0% utilization. Would that work?

Message 7 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys! What happens if I charge a few bucks on the cards, but adjust the balance to $0 before the end of the statement period. That way they are actively used, but still report as 0% utilization. Would that work?

Works for me 

It's called the bubble gum card 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 10
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Shouldn't be a big deal either way. I just had one of my cards report a $1.00. Lol
I only had a $1 charged on it before statement cut. And was too lazy to go in and pay it. I noticed today they actually reported it. Ha ha
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Lots of people do things like this. The ideal credit scoring solution involves doing this for all but one card, with that card having 2-3% utilization. However, many of us have discovered that the difference in scoring from doing this vs. letting the cards report is minimal.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.