Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What have you "wasted" a HP on?

tag
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

What have you "wasted" a HP on?

I'm just curious. When I say "wasted", I mean something you took a HP for only to be declined, whether that be a CLI, a HP or something else?

I "wasted" a HP trying to increase the CL on my 5/3rd $300 toy limit. Declined.

(T-Mobile also wasted THREE hard pulls for the SAME PHONE, which I'm still miffed about. But that's neither here nor there...)

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 1 of 85
84 REPLIES 84
CF_Frost
New Contributor

Re: What have you "wasted" a HP on?

Pretty sure I wasted a HP with Discover asking for a bump from $3K to $5K last month. Fortunately, for the inquiry I got a laundry list of reasons my 760 and over $30K in lines over four cards wasn't enough to warrant increasing my limit. I had just opened a checking account with them so I was a little hot.
Message 2 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 for Cap1 back in 2013 (one on each bureau). I was still a student making little money and had extremely high (>90%) on my cards at the time. I was being dumb but luckily they'll drop off in a few months.

1 for the CSP. Got denied for too many recent inquiries, too many recent accounts, and not enough time since my last open account with them according to my denial letter. I waited two weeks after getting the slate, and I knew my chances were low, but I reallyyyy wanted it as I'm planning a vacation next year. I'll try again after letting my accounts age and inquiries fall off.
Message 3 of 85
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

I'm just curious. When I say "wasted", I mean something you took a HP for only to be declined, whether that be a CLI, a HP or something else?

I "wasted" a HP trying to increase the CL on my 5/3rd $300 toy limit. Declined.

(T-Mobile also wasted THREE hard pulls for the SAME PHONE, which I'm still miffed about. But that's neither here nor there...)

I wasted a HP in March, 2013 on DCU...they HP'ed me and a letter came back stating that they could not verify my identity...Smiley Mad. I get my CR's every year, so I was a bit upset at them. 

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 85
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@CF_Frost wrote:
Pretty sure I wasted a HP with Discover asking for a bump from $3K to $5K last month. Fortunately, for the inquiry I got a laundry list of reasons my 760 and over $30K in lines over four cards wasn't enough to warrant increasing my limit. I had just opened a checking account with them so I was a little hot.

This is exactly why I will never accept a HP for a CLI with Discover...that and the possibility of a HP for a garbage increase. They are my lowest limit by far, so they are SD'ed except for a $7 monthly recurring charge just to keep it open and active. With so many cards offering TU scores, even that's not a big deal any more.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 5 of 85
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Satellite TV.

I wasted a HP last year when I moved thinking I could finally be rid of Comcast... only to be told the line of trees next to my apartment home block the sky and a signal isn't possible.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried to get a consolidation loan from Penfed. Declined for outstanding balances...

Message 7 of 85
Open123
Super Contributor

Cell Phone service. 

Message 8 of 85
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Tried to get a consolidation loan from Penfed. Declined for outstanding balances...

Why would anyone need a consolidation loan without outstanding balances...Smiley Frustrated? Some denial reasons are screwy...lol.

Message 9 of 85
Open123
Super Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why would anyone need a consolidation loan without outstanding balances...Smiley Frustrated? Some denial reasons are screwy...lol.

+1

LMAO...they want to consolidate 0 balances!

PS - Here's to the "only seek credit when you need it" advocates.

Message 10 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.